Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:34 am 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Liking this so far, I was a dale fan BITD and would have loved a BotE. I've built a couple of SS dales and they build up nice and light.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm quite partial to Cannondales (I know there's not much love fir them on here), especially the hardtails from the 96-98 era. I loved the idea of the Headshock and the engineering behind it.

Managed to source any used chain tensioner and 16 wide based rear cog from a chap on STW.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:04 pm 
Retro Guru

Great story. Looking forward to seeing it take shape.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:57 pm 
Retro Guru

did somebody say beast of the east?
ive had 2 and love em :lol:

Attachments:
048.JPG
048.JPG [ 179.82 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]
yellow m800.jpg
yellow m800.jpg [ 84.44 KiB | Viewed 813 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am 
Retro Guru

Nice examples there.

Hoping my decals will arrive this week so I can get then fitted this weekend. The weather looks a bit ropey for Saturday so it'll give me something to do.

I'm going to build my own wheels I've decided because the quotes I've had have been really expensive or people just aren't interested because I've got the hubs etc.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:11 pm 
Retro Guru

Bit of an update on this...

First if all I picked the frame up from the powder coaters yesterday afternoon andim pretty pleased. It's not 100% perfect but not far off but it didn't cost the earth.

First job was to pop on the BETD reducer cups so that I can run 1 1/8 forks. The cups are nicely made and not too expensive. They're also deep enough that you a erase headset will have enough material to be supported properly.

I thn decided to wait unti the decals arrived from Gil_M...which they did this morning.

Work in progress...

Decals all on

Next I decided to hang on the parts that I had; headset pushed on no worries so next up where the forks and this is where things started to go wrong. Windwave are out of stock of new steerers so I put up a wanted ad to which Tizmo replied a d came up trumps with an ali steerer of 200mm. The price was right so I thought I'd take a punt. It arrived super quick but its too short so I'm going to have to wait until they're back in stock. It's a shame because the ali one is much, much lighter than the steel jobbies.

I'm going to have t take the frame to a bike shop to get the bottom bracket threads chased through because I struggled to get the bottom bracket in. This meant tha I couldnt get the bottom bracket in. Whilst I was trying to install it. I rested the frame against something and managed to rub two letters off the decals on the seat stays. Grrrrrr. I'm Hoping Gil will be able to sell me a replacement.

I managed to get a few things mounted, including the forks.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far and am looking forward to getting it finished.

I'm going to build by own wheels and will be ordering barge rims (Mavic 317's) and Sapim DB Race spokes at the end of the month. Will also get a BETD chainring and a KMC chain so it'll pretty much be good to go.

I've got a set of XTR V's on the way from Ringo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Oh, I've also misplaced my canti bosses for the forks so will need to order a new set (hopefully they're in stock with Windwave). This just added to my frustration today.

I ended up moving onto my other half's Chameleon and fitted my Atlas cranks to my BFe. At least these went smoothly!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:15 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

That does look VERY nice indeed. Really want a BOTE and this is my size - watching carefully!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Cheers.

I think it's going to slow down a bit now; got to wait for the steerers to come back into stock and for pay day sone can buy the rims and spokes. I guess it'll take a while fir me to get them done.

The trouble with all of this waiting is that I'm not very good at being patient!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:33 am 
Retro Guru

Oh wow, that is looking awesome!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next