1991 GT Xizang

kabelad

Retro Newbie
Normally i build and collect 20" and 24" bmx, but have been riding mountain bikes since the 80's. i recently sold my old ibis mojo w/ handjob and haven't really gotten any mountain bikes lately besides my dual suspension rider.
i had a karakorum a long time ago, and loved it, it was black with blue speckling.
anyhow, ran into this one the other day. beautiful condition. just need to figure out how i want to build it up.
has XT front to back, ukai rims, unidentified ti handlebar. rides awesome.

332mj4z.jpg

Congratulations! Large Xizangs are very rare! If you have a 1991 model year, your frame is actually the Xizang "LE", as it is full titanium.

Please give us some more pics and the serial number.

Racer X has some 91 Decals for you:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265437

There is a 1991 2x4 GT fork with long steerer on ebay. Not cheap but this special frame deserves the correct fork.

I would build it period correct with GT Flip-Flop I stem (or Syncros 1st Generation) and a nice black XT 730/732/735. E.g. like here (shown with 1990 decals):

xizang32.jpg

(C) Tomasius/mtb-news.de

Here is a scan of the 1991 catalogue (shown with 1990 decals):
1991_-_Xizangs.JPG

By the way: ist that a first generation Syncros seatpost you got there? If yes and if it is 27.0, I would gladly take it. ;) I have a 27.0 Deore XT in NOS for swaps, if you like.

wow, yeah nice! very rare to see a 20" xizang. i agree, period XT and a rigid cro mo GT fork in black, with the old school decals. perfection.

i'll get some more pictures posted soon, we are in the middle of our monsoon season and the rain just won't let up.

the seatpost is a ringlé moby.

gm1230126":3dwiqi24 said:
ez054098":3dwiqi24 said:
It looks larger than a 20" frame. Looks more like a 22"

Not possible, 20" c-c was the largest they ever built a Xizang. Head tube gap looks just like all the 20"ers I've seen.

What is the measurement c-t?

i'll try to take pictures in a couple of days. still raining here.
the serial number is ttn-221.

i'm really torn on what i want to do with it. i'd like to either make it a single speed townie or maybe a comfort cruiser, just to have something different. don't really need a hardtail mountainbike.

Back