1996 Kona Hahanna - Project Eat My Dirt

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I suppose some people get this a lot if you're known as a "bike person":

"I want to get a bike... Can you help?"

Normally this is followed by the revelation of a tiny budget, at which you normally sigh with despair as you know it'll be very difficult if not impossible, even with a basic Retrobike.

A very good friend of mine came to me in a similar way but thankfully he knows what bikes cost and doesn't mind spending a bit of cash. However I know he won't want to spend too much so I'm going to try my best to make it good value.

I don't do quick lash togethers. If I do a bike it will work well, as well as new bike. But also I think it needs to look good. If it looks good then the owner may look after it better, have a bit more pride in it. I know my friend will look after it so I don't mind putting the effort it. :)

Another bonus here is that I have a donor bike - none other than a Scott Octane!!

null_zpsa710f2cc.jpg

null_zps44cfb240.jpg

null_zpse5fecee1.jpg

null_zps7a8d6fcc.jpg

Decent bits? It has some 1997 Marzocchi z1's (need new seals), smooth headset, smooth back wheel and some other bits I can reuse. I often find forks and rear wheels the hardest to source cheaply so its a good start.

BUT the frame is too small and the shock too light for his 6ft and matching weight (although he's slim). So a new frame is in order. I'm thinking a cheap 18/19" Kona, right?

Re: 1995 Kona Hahanna

I hate dented frames so I picked this up today and was quite nervous - would he actually let me take it for the sale price?

In the end he did, lovely bloke. He said he had loads of BIN offers to end it early but he wanted to stick with the auction to keep it fair....

The other people didn't bid, did they?

And thankfully, its straight with no dents. Awesome! It's no lightweight but I'm well chuffed. :)

null_zps33924145.jpg

Paint is shabby but it'll be resprayed anyway...

null_zps8e8fdb1c.jpg

Stuck seatpost (probably :-( )
null_zps09236ec5.jpg

Stuck BB (probably - :sigh:)
null_zpsc867639e.jpg

All the stuff on it will be binned.
null_zpsb6515bca.jpg

Catalogue picture:
null_zps60a764b5.png

Rob Atkin":1gjv300r said:
All the stuff on it will be binned.
null_zpsb6515bca.jpg
You mean you're not going to reuse that chain? Such a waste! I reckon throw a bit of lube at it and it'll be 'reet!

Oh no the new owner has joined in.... ;-)

Welcome to the forum!!

You'll be glad to know that it's a 19" frame to suit your height BUT as its one of the lower end of the range the top tube is 22", the same as my Kilauea. So it should be short as you like it but hopefully it won't be a bum in the air race position as the larger frame has a longer headtube.

Anyway, no time to waste. I often take years building a bike but I need to be a bit quicker with this one.

So with a heavy heart I take on the seatpost. Slammed all the way down with a seat clamp with no bolt on screams "rusted solid" to most Retrobikers.

I never understand why people cut the top off a seatpost. Just makes it harder to remove I think.

I have this lovely locking adjustable spanner - so useful. The locking function makes sure the spanner grips really tightly (same as mole grips) and doesn't slip.

null_zps1a65dd4b.jpg

Seems difficult to start with but it does start moving with some force applied.

It's moving!

null_zpsbefb5541.jpg

And it's out!!!! :-D

null_zps4a5d45d9.jpg

Might be able to re-use it but its a cheap and nasty one so i will look out for a bargain new one just in case.

Top of seat tube isn't mangled either.

null_zps39418466.jpg

Next..... the BB.

If you don't have one of these tools, buy one. It's a standard Park tools BB tool but screwed into the BB axle is a little Pedros tool which clamps the tool into the splines on the BB. Makes sure it WILL NOT slip and wreck the BB or your knuckles. It's only £10 or so but has paid for itself time and time again. One of my favourite tools

So here we go....

null_zpsce65eb7c.jpg

And it's out!!

And weighed.... Just the bare frame. Well it's on the chunky side of sturdy I suppose..... ;-D

null_zps9c0fcc3d.jpg

BB threads are really clean! This bike was put together well and most importantly KEPT IN THE DRY so the bits I have taken out came out relatively easy. I think I've paid my dues over the years with rusted bits so its nice to have an easy one for a change.

Next step..... off to the powder coaters!!

I noticed it has the proper v-brake Kona dog collar on it too - worth ten times what I paid for the frame!!

Was tempted to buy this when this was up but seller didnt get back to me on a frame size :( Baragin!!

ExeterJake":ub7s0hin said:
Was tempted to buy this when this was up but seller didnt get back to me on a frame size :( Baragin!!

That's weird as he got back to me ultra quickly each time I contacted him. It did say what size it was in the listing to be fair - 18.5 inch - and that's only an inch out to what it actually was. :-D

Re: 1995 Kona Hahanna - Project Eat My Dirt

Don't know what colour the new frame should be painted in!!

We are thinking black with green decals..........

The Scott Octane frame and the front wheel/disc brake combo will be up for sale very soon, and very cheap if you can collect at the Surrey National... ;-)

Back