Scott windriver project newbie

Jody

Retro Newbie
Hi everybody,

New to this site but have been loving looking at all these retro mtbs! I used to be well into my bikes when I was a young lad. Was well into racing and working at three local bike shops as a mechanic including good old halfrauds!! There wasn't much I didn't know back then.... Now though....

I havn't got a blumin clue what's going on! Last time I messed with bikes was about 13 years ago. I didn't get to build anything with disc brakes or hollow bottom brackets.

I'd like to get back to doing some mtb'ing. Mates all have new bouncy bikes. I want old school! I've never bought a bike as a whole, i always bought the frame and then stuck the bits on myself. I have an old tange Scott windriver frame that I'm going to get powder coated white. It's all scratched up so it needs paint. I want it to mimick my husqvarna enduro bike when it's done.

I could really do with your help with what bits to put on it, I really have not got a clue where to start now.
I have got a set of magura racelines on a ribble r4 I built about 15 years ago that could go on. I'd want to paint them white though. I was also toying with brazing on some disc mounts but not sure if that's too much trouble.
Think the sets of wheels I have are all a bit past it now.

What's the crack with these new bottom brackets. Do they fit these old steel frames?

And also what's the crack with forks now? Think it's an 1"1/4 headset. I've not got any forks for it yet. Might go fully rigid.

Any help and pointers would be much appreciated thanks

451A2375-3C29-4CA7-8C79-A037E9032648-6590-000001A1E8E25B24.jpg

Back