ROCKY MOUNTAIN SUZI Q.

What to do?

• 1. Leave as is...............wall art

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • 2. Build up as show bike. but never ridden.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 3. Repair,Build and Ride.

Votes: 15 34.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Retro_Roy

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
hi all
this frame first came to my attention about 1 1/2 years ago when roc6839 discovered it hanging in a local bike store.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=181450&hilit=suzi+q
since then i have had the pleasure of admiring it on several occasions.
it's been present at toxik harald's annual bike show.
well as of this week i am now the proud ower of it. :)
i have decided to give it it's own identifying thread.

unfortunately it has a cracked seat tube. what do i do?
do i leave it as is........wall art?
do i build it with the cracked tube as a `show bike'.
or do i get it fixed, build it and ride it?

firstly, what do you think would happen to the frame if it was built as is and ridden gently?
by that i mean almost strictly pavement and a bit of gravel path.
no big ring uphill cranking either. plus i'm no lightweight. :LOL:

roc thinks it should remain as original as possible. no fix, no build. wall art. that was his plan for it.
he has rolled his eyes so much from my ideas that he's looking at the back of his head now. 🤦

i like to ride my bikes so am leaning towards the gently riding with fingers crossed it doesn't snap in two on me.
or inquiring in to getting it fixed.
what are peoples thoughts?
here are some pictures of miss. suzi q.

for those who don't want to add their comments but would like to contribute i have added a poll. RM Suzi Q 025.JPG RM Suzi Q 024.JPG RM Suzi Q 023.JPG RM Suzi Q 020.JPG RM Suzi Q 019.JPG RM Suzi Q 018.JPG RM Suzi Q 019.JPG RM Suzi Q 018.JPG RM Suzi Q 017.JPG

Last edited:
What a shame :( make me want to cry and its not even mine. I wouldnt risk riding in case it all goes wrong big time.

Ask yourself this; would you ride any other bike that has a seat tube snapped and the drive side chainstay also snapped.

If the answer is yes, then build it, and then check yourself into the local psychiatric department.

That frame is wall art, end of.

It's a cool old frame for Rocky fans, but as a piece of structural design it's dreadful! Wall art IMHO.

This you should not ride anymore... that crack is more air than aluminium, unfortunately. Only 50 made of these, right?

That is superb Roy, a piece of history considering the number that were made.

Personally I wouldn't even consider riding it like it is but I would like to see it repaired and ridden but that obviously means a bit of damage to that iconic paintwork :?

Back