1990 Bontrager Off Road

rumpfy

BoTY Winner
I picked this Bontrager frame up from Velo Cult. Started out as an innocent enough project...all the Bontragers I'd previously tried (Race, Race Lite, TiLite) I found forgettable. In fact I found their ride to be displeasing (especially at speed). But they are an iconic bike with a great cult following and I always liked the earlier versions of this bike with the riveted cable guildes. Not to mention they yield from Santa Cruz, my favorite place to ride. I figured I was missing something.
So I set out to build one using my go to kit. Maybe a bit dull, but tried and true. And more importantly, predictable. I've found multiple bikes with like (or similar) set ups allow for great comparison between different frames or forks. I can't say for sure why, but my experience on this first gen 'production' OR was a pleasant one. I even held a Strava KOM on a short quick twisty section on my local shake down trail for quite some time using this bike. It was built as a work horse. A beater.

Then I got an email from Joe Breeze looking for bikes for the SFO Museum Exhibit. I passed on some leads for a few bikes, but also offered this Bontrager as a possible option.
As luck would have it, the bike was selected for display. A week ago, I was thrashing it down the side of a mountain...and now it was going to be on display for thousands (hundreds of thousands?) to see. As a collector and vrc advocate (and resident forum slut/asshole), I needed to make sure the bike was something I could be proud of and accurately represented Keith's work. With the help of Bontrager experts Hollister and Mr. Orange, they coached me to correct details I would have otherwise missed (eg: the correct seat collar and proper rd cable routing). Changes to Salsa stem and qr's (since Ross and Keith were friends), nice display tires and saddle. And a lot of cleaning.

The end result is a classic looking mountain bike.

A few pics to enjoy as well as the full photoshoot (with new and old pics, full build spec):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rumpfy/set ... 630675237/

As purchased:
6598576133_6a4457abf3_b.jpg

As ridden (initial build):
e7d4a378.jpg

As finished:
8522007088_467d191c68_h.jpg

8520891759_ecaededd1c_h.jpg

8522004818_90b5547ee9_h.jpg

On display at the SFO Museum:

In holding:
1353b398.jpg

Last to go in place:
2c1d29db.jpg

On display (back of Keith's head):
41fe6886.jpg

7727224616_dc3925c323_h.jpg

Coming home:
IMG_20130205_132445_zps5061204e.jpg

Even the Back of Keiths head looks pleased.

And the RockShox fork placement was perfect too.

This sort of contribution is what RETROBIKE is all about for me.

Thanks for sharing.

Carl.

KB and TR admiring the bike at the opening party
1f8135ede01a939a454b5ed78d5c0ba5.jpg

7663b56fdd77035631b8533a9f701402.jpg

I thought I had a better shot of the display card somewhere
e10cc59066bf12924111436ace7b01cb.jpg

Another amazing stunner Eric. You continue to push out these top quality bikes like they're just lying around. Also, had no idea the display was coming back to SF Airport. May need to change plans from Oakland Airport to SF just to see the rad bikes.

Later Amigo

Thanks for the kind words guys. One of those projects that just fell into place the way is was supposed to.

gingernuts/badger":2uyxhz2w said:
And that cable routing. Interesting. I did not know that.

I didn't either. I was kindly corrected. Always learnin'!

BensterSD":3cktpuuy said:
Another amazing stunner Eric. You continue to push out these top quality bikes like they're just lying around. Also, had no idea the display was coming back to SF Airport. May need to change plans from Oakland Airport to SF just to see the rad bikes.

Later Amigo

It was there! I'm afraid its all done now.

Back