My '90 Marin Palisades 1x8 commuter rat - finished!

Korszun

Devout Dirtbag
So, this is my first project. I joined probably about 6 weeks ago after being inspired by a friend's raleigh burners while helping them move house. I don't remember what led me to zolatone Marins initially but I was in love with them in the 90s and now I have one, I'm just stoked. Check out the below for the 'before' shot.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=260352

The learning process began, my initial thought was to make it a single speed, then a 1x7/8, then the full 21/24 speed MTB with upgraded parts. I settled on a 1x8 hybrid type of urban commuter with a distinctive style and quality parts.

The strip down was done the same week as the purchase. It wasn't too difficult, the headset and BB were shot (had to weld several feet of rebar to the BB fixed side to get it undone!) but the frame was good. I began purchasing parts. I decided on XT as the bike came with an M739 rear mech. First came M730 crank arms (thanks trek_y) and then some M737/Mavic wheels with correct skewers from the bay. Then we decided to move house and I knew I had to get a move on or it would get packed up.

Next was a large order from CRC; BB, chain, headset, cassette, pedals, grips, clarks cable sets, self extracting crank bolts and some tools. Some M737 shifters and cantis (including kool stop salmons), a period incorrect Marin QR seat clamp, some Ti bolts, stronglight 34t chainring and bolts, NOS canti hangers from ebay. A flite in white thanks to Pace on here (awesome part). Tyres from a random online bike shop, they only just fit.

While this was on the way I set about cleaning and enquiring about having the frame, forks, stem and bars brought back to life. In the end due to cost and time constraints (and the fact it's only a Palisades) I decided to go with the original finish as I thought it looked cool cleaned up and I had seen some really cool rat builds on this site. Since it's a commuter/pub bike (not that i ever see the inside of a pub these days), perfect refinishing would have been very hard to keep pristine anyway.

So, after an evening of cleaning, dismantling, degreasing, repair, re-assembly and lubrication I was ready to build. At first i motored along; my first BB install 5 minutes, brakes, straight on. Then I got to the headset... I had the old threaded rod with washers home made tool, armed myself with copious research from the oracle (youtube) and set about the crown race first. Had a few goes of whacking it home with a length of plastic pipe, no joy. So I put the kettle on for the crown race and I shoved the forks in an old pop bottle full of iced water. Then I set about the cups. To cut a long story short, ISO headsets don't go into JIS framesets - i still have the wounds from wrestling with my (now broken) tool and frameset for over 90 minutes. Back to the drawing board...

So, I had a frantic search for a JIS headset. Massive thanks to Skeelsie for coming up with a NOS Richey logic, which was fitted in minutes just a few days later.

The rest of the build went without much of a hiccup. The chainring needed moving into the middle position after a couple of chain off incidents and a wheel that needed a 5mm buckle taking our which was done for only £5 by LBS. I think I did a good job, the bike rides like new and I love the look. I took inspiration from the original Marin decals and did everything in white. I'm sure there will be some who have some opinions on this but I bloody love it. See what you think.

So, we're moving house on Saturday, I finished the bike at the weekend under intense pressure to put it on hold from the Mrs. So glad to have got it done.

Decided to do bikes for the whole family, picked up a '91 diamondback Ascent ex for 45 notes which needs a rebuild but not much spending on it. On the look out for a small frae zolatone for the wife. But for myself, I now want a proper MTB again. I always fancied a set of Pace RC35s and this turned up last week...

Attachments

• marin palisades-2.jpg
    marin palisades-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-4.jpg
    marin palisades-4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-5.jpg
    marin palisades-5.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-6.jpg
    marin palisades-6.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-8.jpg
    marin palisades-8.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-9.jpg
    marin palisades-9.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-10.jpg
    marin palisades-10.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,077
  • marin palisades-11.jpg
    marin palisades-11.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,077
I like it; has that 'don't care for convention' attitude that mountain bikes used to be about :cool:

Not seen those Halo's before either, if the Splashbacks don't cut it on my CB project I may get a pair...

Thanks folks. The Halos are getting hard to find, I got these from tweeks cycles online, that's the only place I could find that had a pair in white! They're 2.2s and only just fit through the frame and forks so muddy off road conditions would be tough, just as well it's decked out as a hybrid type thing. They do help to smooth the bumps out though.

Cheers Wookiee. Not as nice as yours but it's a start and I'm loving riding it.

The Eldridge should be interesting when the time comes.

Doesn't look quite as bad as originally described!!!!!

Is the Eldridge going to be period correct? I may still have the LX brakes/shifters off of mine.

I'll take that as a compliment misteroo!!

Seriously it's exactly what I wanted as something I can pick up an just ride.

Currently letting the Eldridge decisions float around my head, am open to suggestions. If I was going to do period correct then I think I'd want a refinish (a la WD bear valley but in the right colours) but there is a dent in the downtube which is making me reluctant as it'll never be perfect. The Zolatone isn't as bad as the palisades and the orange is nicely unfaded so maybe just a period correct original, as good as I can get it would be nice. Then again I have some M600 Vs and levers which would go great with thumbies.

As you can tell, it's still rather fluid.

I am really enjoying riding the palisades, the Eldridge is just a little bit smaller which I think would work better as a pure MTB. I think the geometry is different too, can anyone comment? Also, the Eldridge will be my highest spec cro-mo frame to date, will it feel much different???

I went with M600 V's and XT levers and thumbies on my Eldridge, it works really well.

The purists dont like it though!!

Your Eldridge was the one I looked at when I decided on the M600s!

I think I'll see where the build takes me, if the brakes are already non standard, I can pick and choose a bit.

Can you give me a seat post spec? No idea on diameter.

Cheers

Back