Fat Chance Shock A Billy Mk 2 SBML021

northerndave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've always hankered after a MK2 Shock a Billy and Rick tempted me with his Black SAB but it wasn't to be so.

Then I spot this on US EBay whist on holiday in France. Contacted the seller who agreed to ship to the UK. A 3:30am alarm was set to capture this beast. High start price and zero bids right up to the wire.

Still a few weeks away but can't wait. Looks like it's been fairly poorly specced but really it's the frame that's important.

Attachments

• SBML021.jpg
    SBML021.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1,288
Very nice, looking forward to seeing what you are gonna do with it! Worth the early morning alarm I reckon :)

Been meaning to get this one up...

Another US import. Love getting Fats from the US, and California specifically seems to keep them low on rust compared to one that's been regularly thrashed round the Lake District. Suppose the same reason a Californian Karmann Ghia from Cali are so tidy - same inherent rust worries too!

Anyway, here's some inspection pics, looks like it was sat in a garage for a long while, lots of dust, cobwebs and filth. Under all that though the frame is stunning Sapphire and only has a few minor scrapes. It even still has a protective sticker over the seat clamp hole!

DSC_2617.jpg

DSC_2619.jpg

DSC_2620.jpg

DSC_2621.jpg

DSC_2622.jpg

DSC_2624.jpg

DSC_2625.jpg

It amazes me how someone would buy a Fat of this value and deck it out with LX and such basic parts - the bars looked like they came off a £100 bike. Weird mix of LX, M730 and 740.

Decided to strip it right back to then have a blank canvas. When I got into it seem to looks like it's never even been property wet. There's odd spots of rust on components but crank threads, BB and canti bosses have what looks like factory grease.

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2630.jpg

Here we go, down to pretty much the bare frame.
DSC_2639.jpg

DSC_2632.jpg

DSC_2629.jpg

DSC_2633.jpg

DSC_2634.jpg

DSC_2636.jpg

DSC_2638.jpg

More soon

Thrown together test build... Not sure about the forks and have option on a Raceface or Cooks crank - think black/silver is the way yo go.

DSC_2640.jpg

DSC_2641.jpg

DSC_2642.jpg

Lovely and a great colour too. On my bucket list to try someday after reading the reviews along with a retro Manitou full sus.

fattiman":3ljnf34q said:
liking that Dave :cool:
Is this the model that Darren Tapp used to race on back in the day?

Yes it is, he rode a team violet one with HED downhill rims and green and silver ringle parts. As Dave says he also rode the AMP one in white iirc.

Back