1991 Diamondback Axis (Finished Page 2)

chrisv40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've just received my next project from Raidan73 and very nice it is :D

Build will be a mix of Xt and Dx, the only part I'm missing is a 31.8mm bottom pull front mech.

Adrian included a full set of Xt cantis for peanuts that have polished up like new

The rest of the bits all need cleaning up before fitting so I'll update as and when I make progress, think I'd better find a better camera too :LOL:

Re: 1991 Diamondback Axis

I'm glad this went to someone. I came oh so close to buying it. I can't afford another retro project. Looking forward to this one.

I've got one of these too - and if you ever want rid of those forks, give me a shout!

I built mine up with some P2s, but I'm probably going to try some forks from the same year's Apex, as I've got a spare pair.

Seatpost should be 30.4mm - if there's a smaller one in, look at the clamp area, it may be a little squashed from being tightened with a smaller post in.

edit: mine was a mix of DX and XT - XT mechs, DX thumbies, stock wheels and rims, albeit the rear on a DX hub, the front on a XT (732 I think) hub. I went with NOS XC Pro cantis (SE rears) and NOS XC Pro levers.

Xt Sti's have cleaned up nicely, grips and bar ends ready to fit too.

Neil mine came with the original 30.4 post buts lost a lot of the black ano so I've ordered a new one.

The forks will be staying put I'm afraid but if I ever go the front sus route I'll let you know ;)

chrisv40":3a37lb11 said:
Neil mine came with the original 30.4 post buts lost a lot of the black ano so I've ordered a new one.

The forks will be staying put I'm afraid but if I ever go the front sus route I'll let you know ;)

Just out of interest what sort of post are you going for?

No worries about the forks, just keep me in mind if you ever decide differently.

I've got a 92 Axis that's a work in progress, too, but struggling with the motivation for it to be complete as it seems much the same, really.

I've gone for a black ritchey style post.

The new un55 bottom bracket arrived today so I cleaned up the M730 chainset.

DSC_0469_zpsf64c8f78.jpg

This looks like it's going to be lovely! I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Diamond Backs, they ride so well. It's a shame they seem under-rated nowadays.

iveto1983":100yfwc8 said:
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Diamond Backs, they ride so well. It's a shame they seem under-rated nowadays.

Shhh, no it's not! I for one am quite happy for them to get little attention and not be that desirable, I've got designs on it keeping the prices down. That said, I've got five, I don't need any more.

Back