1990 Avalanche in Lunarscape

Mr.Toad

Senior Retro Guru
My first GT! A mostly original 1990 Avalanche in great shape.

She is in really nice condition and mostly original, obviously the seat has to go and the tires (2.4) are serious heavyweights. Otherwise it's all there, even shifts spot on and brakes are dialed in, almost ready to take to the trails.

While the paint isn't as flashy as most other GT's I like it quite a bit. Understated GT......The decals have nice details as well.

Current plans are to clean the chain, put on a decent seat and ride! I will post updated pix as I progress.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 1990 GT Catalog.jpg
    1990 GT Catalog.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 921
  • GT AT1.jpg
    GT AT1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 916
  • GT AT Ava.jpg
    GT AT Ava.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 914
  • GT ATSide.jpg
    GT ATSide.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 916
  • 1990 GT Catalog2.jpg
    1990 GT Catalog2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 903
I just couldn't resist, it's in such great condition and interesting design.

Guess i'm a little bit of a bike hoarder and a complete sucker for the bikes of my youth.

Action pix will be posted this week!

I love GT bikes from this era too. I had an spattered orange Karakoram in 90/91 (?) and loved it! Just looking at a pic of one now transports me back to Aberdeen Uni and my mate's white Stumpjumper :). Early GTs always had beautiful quality paint too.

One more pic for now, the serial number.

Here is my uneducated translation which might be completely wrong:

T8909. Toyo built (T) 1989 (89) September (09)

003, Model number Avalanche

0872, 872th built that year

I think the frame is a 18" so maybe the 08 stands for 18"? Not sure.

Attachments

• GT Serial Number.jpg
    GT Serial Number.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 745
Lunarscape 90 Avalanche, definitely one of the hardest old GT's to find in decent condition. Either many weren't sold or like most I've seen....they just got ridden into the ground.

Thanks for the insight GM and Guy!

Before I looked at the bike I searched for quite some time for the same year/color, didn't have much luck other than the catalog scans, which are a great reference of course.

So i'm guessing that this color wasn't popular. As you mentioned they either didn't sell or were ridden into the ground and put away wet.

I do like the purple though, reminds me of grape soda which I really like!

Back