BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Rather than clogging up the Overbury's thread with questions I thought it was about time I started a build thread of my own.

I bought this in January from a new forum member who purchased it 2nd hand around 1990. It was black and yellow when he bought it and had no decals. He had it resprayed by Bromwich Cycles where early original Overbury's decals and a Bromwich 531 decal were applied. These are pics of the frame as purchased after I removed all the parts. Please excuse the garden, it does look a little better now :oops:

dscf4778y.jpg

dscf4779b.jpg

dscf4781x.jpg

dscf4782t.jpg

dscf4784m.jpg

dscf4780.jpg

What I didn't know at the time (and neither did the seller) was that the BB threads were partially stripped. Someone had overcome this by tapping three small threaded allen bolts around the BB shell to grip the cup in place. Pretty clever if it works. If not I'll have to go with a threadless variety. The paint is now stripped and I'm pretty much decided on the new colour scheme. More to follow.....

9E4DBB37-AABB-4E0A-B1E1-FDE2A8BE622B-3237-00000299B9E4788F.jpg

CEC46599-907E-40DE-9A06-03E8248504A3-3237-00000299B1F79C05.jpg

FB62FF00-A9B3-4A0F-A1BE-3572F691C3C6-3237-00000299BFB79D1D.jpg

770ED0A8-7212-40E6-A4D3-1C46C0C93675-3237-00000299C608BDB2.jpg

Re: 1988 (?) Overbury's Pioneer

Clearcoat...? Just because it seems a shame to hide any of it's beauty ;)

Some neat brazing work there.

I'd get a LBS to chase those threads, as I managed to get a BB's to securely thread into something just as bad, when I rebuilt a Bigfoot.

It would be worth getting the bb shell threads "chased" as they don't look too bad to me, also If you get hold of a BB with longer cups that insert further, they would stand a chance of holding fast.
The threadless BB's are pretty good, especially the old Mavic ones, which are pretty light too.

Nice! Watching this with interest as mine's at a similar stage.
It's interesting to note the difference in the head tube mounted cable stops used n yours and mine.
I'll check the s/no. on mine later and see if they're similar

Pulling up chair for this one...it's going to be a cracker.

I would be very tempted with clear coating too, that would be very cool.

Has anybody done that before...?

I will get the threads cleaned out after it is painted but they are actually worse than the photo suggests.

I think it's Gravymonster who has the clear coated Kona on here but I'm pretty much decided on paintwork already. I just hope I can do it justice as there's already a lot of nice Pioneers on here.

Regarding your seatpost/seat tube issues on the 'other thread', I have a full set of adjustable reamers at work. I can start by cleaning it out and getting the smallest one to fit and that doesn't work I can open it up to suit the next size if ya like?

bren":jf6dcba5 said:
Regarding your seatpost/seat tube issues on the 'other thread', I have a full set of adjustable reamers at work. I can start by cleaning it out and getting the smallest one to fit and that doesn't work I can open it up to suit the next size if ya like?

Mate, that would be awesome :D Another member kindly offered to let me borrow his but it would have involved some costly postage. I'll give you a shout and arrange to drop it off sometime soon if that's ok?

Back