kingoffootball

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I came across this frame on ebay and kinda fell for it straight away. Unsurprisingly, it was outed on here and a couple of people also expressed an interest in it, so I was pleasantly surprised to win it for what I considered to be a very reasonable amount.

Aende+%25282%2529.JPG

Aende+%25281%2529.JPG

Aende+%25283%2529.JPG

Aende+%25284%2529.JPG

Having been rather busy with study, other projects and generally taking on more than I can get done, I feel ashamed that it was only tonight that I freed it from its Alivio groupset it had somehow got lumbered with.

I've not had a chance to start cleaning it, but I'm pleased with the overall condition of the frame. The paint is a bit dodgy in places, but hopefully not irredeemably, as it's a lovely metallic red. One thing I discovered, which is both a plus and a minus, is that the bottom bracket threads must have been damaged at some point, as the shell has been chamfered for a Mavic bottom bracket. The positive side of this is it means I also got a good condition Mavic bottom bracket into the bargain (along with all that dreamy Alivio).

Smooth as Mavic bottom brackets are, they're not particularly light, so I was surprised how light the frame and forks felt once it was stripped. A quick weighing confirmed this, with an indicated 2.74 kg for the frame and forks with the Ritchey headset and seat bolt.

I've really not given too much thought to build yet - I suspect silver parts might look best on it where possible and as a start I was picturing a set of Middleburn cranks, along with probably keeping the titanium stem and bars that came with it.

I apologise in advance, especially to other people who wanted to buy it, for how slow the build is likely to be. My long running Scapin build is testament to the fact my projects tend to not only be restricted by the limited budget I have, but also an unwillingness to compromise when I decide on how I want it to turn out.

If anyone has any information on it it would be gratefully received. I've not researched Aende or Alan Braithwaite/Derek Wood yet - if it is definitely made by Aende - other than reading one thread on a time trialling forum, where one person mentioned buying an mountain bike frame for his son, but that was the only ATB reference I've yet found.

Aende early 70's onwards built silly light time trial frames drilling and filing as much away as humanly possible, some lovely fillet brazing too :D

Stunning find and has a lot of Aende hallmarks (Lots of drilling :LOL: ) needs someone to hug it and kiss it and call it George :LOL: :LOL:

You will get a lot more info on Aende and on Pongo Braithwaite (who passed away a few years ago) from the guys in the road section, but that's a great find and deserves a top class build.

Ah so this is what you were telling me about Will!

Looks very interesting indeed, I must pop round and have a look sometime soon :D

Still waiting for updates on this, how come it's sat gathering dust when it should be ridden.
Unique and beautiful hand made filet brazed frame with ti stem and bars for peanuts if I remember rightly, I think the deal was if you don't use it you pass it on... big hint

:oops: other builds and restricted funds have got in the way somewhat, but it may still be progressing faster than my Scapin!

I'm still not 100% set on a build, but the stem and bars seem to suit it, so I think they will stay. I've been on the hunt for some Middleburn cranks for it, as I think I'll probably build it up with mainly British silver parts where possible. I've forgotten whether I worked out what size seat post was required, so I'll have to check that again.

Hopefully, I'll be able to afford some parts at the beginning of the year, especially if I sell off a few pieces.

On the positive side, it's hung on a nice bracket and I admire it every time I go into the garage!

Lovely frame! Aende was on Castle Boulevard in Nottingham. I remember riding past as a kid and spoke to him once. I think he sold up and went to thailand and died a few years later. Let me know if it's in your way and i will take it off your hands :)

The only way I'm likely to part with it is if I decide it's too small for me.

This has reminded me I intended to give it a careful clean up and polish. I think I looked for a frame number before and just found '914' - not sure whether anyone can tell me anything from that or give me any idea of age.

Back