1988-89 Mantis Valkyrie

GearlessinSeattle

Senior Retro Guru
This was listed locally on CL and I was lucky enough to be the first to call the owner, Rick. Not only did he have the Mantis listed but also a R and E Terra Tech that had some tasty parts.
When I went to pick both bikes up Rick told me he had many offers for up to 4 times his asking price. But Rick being the guy he is, held true to his original price and here it sits.
Not only did I get the Mantis with original fork but also a box of random parts that included to my delight the original Mantis stem.
I also got a set of Red/Black Bullseye hubs laced to Mavic MA 2 rims(are the MA2 the Bontrager rims?), Topline cranks, Kooka Cranks, Grafton pedals and other bits. Rick also through in 2 mantis T-shirts with one being signed by RC.

I have always wanted a Mantis as they remind me of the old Quadangle that I lusted after as a kid. Also, Seeing DC's lime green Mantis from years ago made me want one even more so...........

The story behind this Mantis goes something like this:
Rick, the original owner, had this made custom back in 88 or 89. He can not remember which. He raced and rode it for about 5 years before it cracked around the seat tube.(it seems this was common)
Rick sent it back to Mantis and had it re-welded but they forgot to put the front dererailer and rear brake cable guide and stop on.
Mantis told him to send it back but by then he had picked up a Amp and never did anything with the Mantis.

The paint is in rough shape so as soon as I get the guide and stop put back on it will get a repaint. I am thinking Candy Apple Green.

In the past 3 days I have had many ideas of how to build this up.
650B conversion?
Drop bar?
Full XT M7**?
I am not quite sure yet.
The frame is a 18" with a 22" top tube. A little small for my 6-1 frame so that is why it makes this a perfect 650B canidate.
I will post photos and updates as it happens.
Thanks,
LJ

IMG_3168 by gearlessinseattle, on Flickr

IMG_3171 by gearlessinseattle, on Flickr

IMG_3173 by gearlessinseattle, on Flickr

IMG_3175 by gearlessinseattle, on Flickr

hi
awesome score. that is on the top of my list since getting my horny toad.
at just under 6' this would be perfect size for me. :roll:
if you decide to sell it let me know.
get building it. i want to see it here in may 2014 at toxik harald's show.
could be next show winner.
roy

GearlessinSeattle":2gqo7iw0 said:
...laced to Mavic MA 2 rims(are the MA2 the Bontrager rims?)
MA2 are the same as MA40 AFAIK, just clear anodised instead of the dark grey treatment that normally gets the "CD" suffix.

Super score, really really like these. Candy apple sounds yummy too!

ReadyRevolvingIchthyosaurs.gif

Back