New Build - GT Zaskar 1996 - Finished

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Its been a while since I could post in the northern hemisphere of this site :LOL:

Spurred on by a comment from Drystonepaul at the Long Mynd regarding my lack of retro ride I thought I ought to build something up :facepalm:

I've always wanted to try a Zaskar but for some reason I never got around to it. Sizing wise they have always seemed a bit "off" as the 18'' I thought was a touch small and the 20'' is enormous. The 19'' would be perfect. I had an RTS in 19'' and the sizing was spot on. Sadly the 19'' Zaskars seem pretty rare.

That said this is an 18'' although the sizing is closer to the 19'' with a TT thats 23''. No serial stamp but clear "6061" stamps on both dropouts (inner).

The frame came to me as karma from Spence :cool: :cool: :cool: (Many thanks again mate) and was in pretty good condition. A few marks and minor dents but nothing too outrageous!

The frame, as below, came with what I can assume are original DT decals. This helped date the frame as a 1996 - thanks to GM for his deciphering help.

➡️ Frame as it arrived:

➡️ Polishing bit:

I won't bore you with too much here as polished Zaskars are like white Konas at the minute. I didn't want to go the whole hog with wet and dry etc as that would have alieved the frame of its patina so a quick scour/polish/degrease/scour/polish/degrease saw the frame ready for decals.

➡️ Current build:

This is a WIP but centered around what I already had. Forks had to be yellow and luckily I has some Z2 thats were just about perfect.

Still loads to do but hoping to have it ready for the gates ride in a few weeks.

➡️ Pics:

Obligatory side shot

Decals - From eBay

I know it should really have a Kore stem & bars but I think the Azonic works if a little long and does match the bars :p

I've had this sat on my desk for ages as until now I'd not owned a frame it would fit :facepalm:

As you can see no serial number ......

.... but luckily the all important one....

Came across this in my LBS the other day. I don't remember them from BITD but it looked perfect for the build and for £5 it was less than a Lizard Skin :cool:

All comments and suggestions are very welcome :)

Re: New Build - GT Zaskar 1996

➡️ Build List:

Frame: GT Zaskar 1996

Fork: Marzocchi Z2 uppers in Z4 lowers

Headset: Ritchey WCS
Stem: Azonic
Handlebar: Azonic
Grips: Club Roost
Barends: Not yet!

Brakes: Avid Arch Rivals
Brake Pads: Avid
Brake Cables: Grey XTR
Brake Levers: Avid SD

Shifters: LX 570
Front Derailleur: XT 750
Rear Derailleur: XTR M952
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: ??
Chain: TBC
Cranks: STX RC
Bottom Bracket: UN72
Pedals: TBC

Hub Skewers: Ringle
Rims: D321
Hubs: F: M750 R: STX RC
Tyres: IRC Rust Wall

Saddle: Flite
Seatpost: USE
Seatpost Binder: X-Lite

Weight: Hmmm

Good start Mark, frame looks really good for karma :)

Nice one. But I remembered the Zaskar decals on mine were more towards the front of the TT.

zonoskar":yixoc91i said:
Nice one. But I remembered the Zaskar decals on mine were more towards the front of the TT.

I think you are right - mine should be further forward ....doh!

I can see my mistake though. I used the faint outline of the long gone originals to place these.

Me thinks this was an LE frame which would account for the gap after the HT.

I'm not too fussed :twisted:

Finished

Just in time for the gates ride at the weekend :cool:

No plans to change anything other than maybe a SWAP of fork to a rigid one oh and the removal of the D521 based wheels for some M950/517 wheels :roll: :LOL:

I know they are ten a penny but I likes it :p

➡️ Pics:

tonedeaf101":32s9kg3a said:
Nice job. :)

Thank you :mrgreen:

Went for a test ride last night.

All went well except for a constant creaking from the seatpost .... Now replaced with a nice Thomson.

Proper ride this weekend ....

Back