Roberts - Dog's Dinner

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The irony of this frame isn't lost on me given my recent anatomical adjustment: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=257080

It's a get well soon and a hurry up and be well enough to ride gift to myself. Here we have bit of an odd Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X. I've got hold of it as you see here, pretty crap looking. The frame seems structurally sound, some slight "worming" and a crimp in the seat tube where some ham fisted gorilla has fitted a front mech. No idea what the tube set is, that'll form part of the detective work I'll be doing. I think it's been modified over the years. I'll clean out the frame number and get in touch with the folks in Croydon.

11/8" head tube and flared at the top rather than the usual 1"
Under BB cable routing
3 bottle cage mounts
Pump pegs
Chain pip
Crud catcher mounts
Ritchey socketed drop outs
Nasty, rear caliper hanger

This is going to be an interesting project. I'm not sure what to go with, my current thinking is to get that nasty disc mount removed and a new one properly fitted with a reinforcement to the seat and chain stay and have a custom, rigid, disc fork made for it. Re-route the cables along the top tube with decent hose guides as well. Then a decent paint job. We'll see.

EDIT: No longer mine I'm afraid, I just had to wake up and smell the coffee, it was just too big. One day...

Phone Roberts (don't bother e-mailing) and give them the frame number and they may well be able to give you some detail, at the least, tube type, at best, who originally ordered it and what it is / was.

Repairs, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Roberts, but I wouldn't use their painters, as my DB frame took months to come back.

Nice project through, and a bit of a blank canvass.

That looks like it could be a newer DOGS? based on the headset size/disc mount/colour. The down tube looks like Dedacciai - it is more triangle-shaped at the top with almost flat sides, which is what the modern ones are made of - I thought a Dedacciai/853 mix was the current tube selection.

Matt

Current DOGS is: "Fillet-brazed Reynolds 853/Dedacciai/Columbus Foco mix"

The frame number will give an indication of age, as the first two digits are the year of manufacture.

dnbmatt28":2ze68ip2 said:
That looks like it could be a newer DOGS? based on the headset size/disc mount/colour. The down tube looks like Dedacciai - it is more triangle-shaped at the top with almost flat sides.

Just a crap picture, certainly not a triangular tube. Oval at the head tube, round in the center and oval again at the BB. The disc mount looks like an afterthought to be honest, the brazing doesn't look up to the rest of it.

NeilM":2ze68ip2 said:
The frame number will give an indication of age, as the first two digits are the year of manufacture.

1999 it is then.

Well a plan is developing for the frame...

Sliding drop outs with a disc tab, a strut to strengthen the frame between seat and chain stay on the non drive side, rigid forks with disc mount.

Group set I'm thinking XT for go rather than XTR for show. I have some nice Hope/Mavic X517 wheels too.

Oh and lefty? NO!

That sounds excellent, and apart from the single speed thing, which is for much younger, stronger and fitter men than me, is not a million miles away from what I am currently doing with my Dave Lloyd.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=248862&start=30

I'm a big fan of Hope hubs and Mavic rims, I have three sets now, both disc and rim versions, all with XC717 rims.

I'm thinking sliding drop out with a gear hanger to give some flexibilty as to how I ride it.

Back