Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:49 pm 
Old School Hero

well this came to my hands on Thursday and to be honest I wasn't sure I had don't the right thing :? never had a yeti but so glad I did don't know if its just me but in a strange way the bike just feels safe ?

really dirty and hard to see how good or not good she would clean up so I spent 2 days striping/cleaning/tcutting/polishing and rebuilding her and I have to say I was really happy at the outcome

got a few plans for her get a rear rim to match front .new bars stem and seat.also looking to get rid of the tyres for some panaracer fire ones with the red rim so trade possible :wink: :wink:

any way take a look guys see what ya think and any input would be great 8)

Attachments:
233.JPG
233.JPG [ 332.17 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
retro.JPG
retro.JPG [ 381.05 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
66.JPG
66.JPG [ 287.57 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
55.JPG
55.JPG [ 378.83 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
00.JPG
00.JPG [ 308.58 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]
retrobike.JPG
retrobike.JPG [ 386.83 KiB | Viewed 1128 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:35 pm 
Old School Hero

Impressive! If that was covered in muck you did a pretty smick clean up job. Doesn't look like it's had much use. Nice purchase.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:49 pm 
Old School Hero

Buzzsaw wrote:
Impressive! If that was covered in muck you did a pretty smick clean up job. Doesn't look like it's had much use. Nice purchase.

I think the lack of cleaning and built up dirt and oil had preserved it. from a distance it looked ok b4 on the main tubes etc but chain cassette and all the nooks and crannies were just oily grime ohh the wonder of tcut :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Oh, this made my day! It might need some matching parts, but it's a stunner otherwise! Good luck!

Mx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:51 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Well done, She is a beauty! I agree with healthclinic11, when I find old rides covered in oil and grease and dirt, they shine up real nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:43 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

is a beauty 8) in good shape !!

need a correct fork and other components to match end of 90s and will be perfect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:53 pm 
Old School Hero

cheers for the comments guys will be doing a few bits over the next week or 2 will update as I do :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:17 pm 
Retro Guru

I know from experience that sometimes it's more important to put the damn thing together. Parts will come, no worries! I like this bike because it's such an underdog, even though it's a Yeti. I remember that back then people complained that the Troy Lee graphics are not right for a Yeti and that Schwinn ruined the company and I also assume that this bike is actually rarer than the 6 inch version. My guess is that if you wanted a gravity Yeti back then, you'd go for the top shelf bike with all the options. But its what makes it so cool.

If I was you, I'd look for a first generation Boxxer, a matching XTR rear deraileur, a Big Un front hub, a matching rear wheel with a HED rim, a Yeti/Bontrager saddle, Yeti grips, a King or Ringle Slamma Jamma headset, Michelin tires and identical brakes. Just my two cents.

Still, it's my favourite bike from around here since a while now... :)

Enjoy it!
Mx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:45 pm 
Old School Hero

Maxipedia wrote:
I know from experience that sometimes it's more important to put the damn thing together. Parts will come, no worries! I like this bike because it's such an underdog, even though it's a Yeti. I remember that back then people complained that the Troy Lee graphics are not right for a Yeti and that Schwinn ruined the company and I also assume that this bike is actually rarer than the 6 inch version. My guess is that if you wanted a gravity Yeti back then, you'd go for the top shelf bike with all the options. But its what makes it so cool.

If I was you, I'd look for a first generation Boxxer, a matching XTR rear deraileur, a Big Un front hub, a matching rear wheel with a HED rim, a Yeti/Bontrager saddle, Yeti grips, a King or Ringle Slamma Jamma headset, Michelin tires and identical brakes. Just my two cents.

Still, it's my favourite bike from around here since a while now... :)

Enjoy it!
Mx

im loving your 2 cents mate but at the minute I aint got that lol ive got a rear rim lined up funds allowing. the retro boxxers are so dear I may never get them so might have to stick with these but might repaint to look older :wink: all the little parts king headset/xtr mech will like you say come in time.first on the list is new bars as I cant stant faded anno lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 am 
Retro Guru

great bikes these things. a friend owned a straight 6 bitd that i had some time aboard. iknow what you mean about the ride feel being safe. they are so sturdy and strong feeling, with a lovely predictable shock curve. they are very confidence inspiring to ride