Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:38 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm
Posts: 453
Nice!
Looks to be built up with parts from 1993 - 2002 most of which are good quality

You most likely have a 1996 model San Andreas.

They introduced the mono style seat tower in 96 but the frame still ran standard shock mounts, pivot & Pro Stop specific brake mount as the earlier models.
check the decal on the front derailleur post (luckily it's still there!) If it's "built in San Luis Obispo" it will be a 96 - 97

Good to see it still has all the original decals


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:43 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:23 pm
Posts: 2765
Location: NW England
You seem to be having an identity crisis about the bike. Either build it fully retro, or leave it as it is - a decent mix of functional parts, some of the highlights of which (bulb hubs, middleburn cranks, M4 brakes) you've decided are either too modern, or not modern enough...
I'm with you on the stem though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:45 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 1939
Location: East Lothian
I'm in the leave it as it is and go and thrash it brigade. That will determine the state of the shock. If it's ok fine if not it would be my first upgrade.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:31 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm
Posts: 2182
Location: Kent, UK
That looks exactly like the one which was for sale very close to me in Sevenoaks!
How did you get it to the Isle of Man? My in-laws live there!

Nice bike, I was tempted.

Cheers,
Andrew


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:24 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Isle of Man
andyz wrote:
That looks exactly like the one which was for sale very close to me in Sevenoaks!
How did you get it to the Isle of Man? My in-laws live there!

Nice bike, I was tempted.

Cheers,
Andrew


Yes thats correct! I havn't got it back yet. I got my mate in surrey to collect it. I will collect it from him in a few weeks. In the meantime I want to start collecting some bits for it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Isle of Man
13 wrote:
Nice!
Looks to be built up with parts from 1993 - 2002 most of which are good quality

You most likely have a 1996 model San Andreas.

They introduced the mono style seat tower in 96 but the frame still ran standard shock mounts, pivot & Pro Stop specific brake mount as the earlier models.
check the decal on the front derailleur post (luckily it's still there!) If it's "built in San Luis Obispo" it will be a 96 - 97

Good to see it still has all the original decals


So its a 96/97? Is there any chance it could be from any other year,i was under the impression they changed the seat subframe in 94? If its a 96/97,then this changes a few things!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:09 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm
Posts: 453
Yea that's it. The 94 had second generation decals that had San Andreas written on the front triangle which only ran for that year and was also available in a white powder coat option too.
In 95 they changed the decals to the ones on your frame but still ran the tubular seat tower. The front dearailuer post also went from dog leged to straight in 95.
96 they introduced the mono seat tower which stayed to the end although the frame & decals changed slightly over the years.
The frame you have could be built up with parts from 95 to 99 and still look period.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:31 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:52 pm
Posts: 65
Location: Isle of Man
13 wrote:
Yea that's it. The 94 had second generation decals that had San Andreas written on the front triangle which only ran for that year and was also available in a white powder coat option too.
In 95 they changed the decals to the ones on your frame but still ran the tubular seat tower. The front dearailuer post also went from dog leged to straight in 95.
96 they introduced the mono seat tower which stayed to the end although the frame & decals changed slightly over the years.
The frame you have could be built up with parts from 95 to 99 and still look period.


OK thanks,thats the most positive bit of info ive had so far! So,that changes things slightly,i dont really want to fit any parts older than the frame,with the exception of some more modern discs,although ive yet to see how good the present ones on it are,and im undecided on front forks.
Any idea on where to get a new decal set from too? Ideally i want to strip if at some point when ive got everything i want to fit to it,and tidy it up a bit!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:33 pm
Posts: 453
I think a few guys on here have had that style decal made by gil_m. You can contact him here via pm or at www.cycleshed.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 pm 
Old School Hero

Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:02 pm
Posts: 162
Did you stick with the parts which were on the bike or did you change anything?

I have just bought a San Andreas, one of the later ones and I'm trying to find out which year it is and which parts should be on it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Giom6, grarea, H, NeilM, Retro Spud, richbike, RockiMtn and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group