Getting unwanted stickers off rims...

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My Cinder Cone has reflective stickers all around the rims, between the spoke nipples. Probably handy for commuting at night but definitely not as retro-cool as a '90 Cinder Cone deserves. Are there any old wives tricks for removing these bloody things? Taking the actual reflective part off is easy but then I'm left with the sticky part.

Any tips gratefully received.... I don't want anything too abrasive as I don't want to scratch the rims.

Thanks in advance.

If you can use a hairdryer from the start, you will have a lot less glue left on the rims.

Personally I use oil (the kind you put on a chain) to make the glue loosen and then scratch it off with my thumb. Doesn't make any scratches on the rims, but you'll need to wash the braking surfaces afterwards.
I use vinegar for that, far cheaper than brake cleaners and just as effective.

As above - warm with hair dryer to remove the stickers, then I use a bit of white spirit on a washing-up scourer pad, it is very effective at removing the sticky residue. You will want to wear nitrile gloves and do it outside though ie: don't breath in the fumes! It is never something I look forward to doing!

Cheers
Matt

Thanks chaps, much appreciated. Will wait until SWMBO is out before requisitioning the hairdryer for garage duties. :D

I have my own Hairdryer :oops: Not for hair as I don't have much :( specially for sticker removal :roll: I then use either WD 40 or metal polish like silvo/brasso wadding.

Back