1994 Univega Alpina 5.5 ( Updated AMP F1 content )

andyfloyd82

Retro Guru
IMAG0597_zpscb00713d.jpg

IMAG0596_zpsdece168c.jpg

IMAG0215_zps7d324271.jpg

IMAG0213_zps1dc90aa9.jpg

IMAG0210_zps53436668.jpg

Just found this website and its right up my alley. I have been on bikeforums for a while and I found this website and its just amazing. I finally found a place to share my love of vintage MTB's. This Univega is my pride and joy...and its about to get some massive upgrades in the form of a XT 11-28 Cassette and Rolf Dolomite wheelset. Im trying to get this bike under 22lbs. Right now its sitting at 23.1 lbs and I think with lightweight tubes, and the Rolf wheels I can make it happen. This Univega is surely a very underrated bike, it rides so fast and smooth and it climbs amazingly. I will post again with specs...I just want to make sure these pictures upload correctly. Let me know what you all think!

Ok, Im trying to upload pics from google drive and its not working. Let me figure this out....

Re: 1994 Univega Alpina 5.5

Welcome to the site.

There is a lot of univega fans on here giving them the credit they never really got at the time compared to other brands.

You might need five posts or so to post pics. Also try hosting on flickr or photobucket and posting the link, can be easier sometimes.

Check out the archive sections too... Think the catalogues are there for univega

coomber":rvdoqvuw said:
Welcome to the site.

There is a lot of univega fans on here giving them the credit they never really got at the time compared to other brands.

You might need five posts or so to post pics. Also try hosting on flickr or photobucket and posting the link, can be easier sometimes.

Check out the archive sections too... Think the catalogues are there for univega

I know there is one user on here....Chris something....he has a Alpina 5.5 thats JUST like mine. I know he would appreciate it. I will figure out the pictures and get them up for your consumption. :D

I put links up, you can click on the pics there....Let me get a Spec sheet up for you guys.

Frame: Formula Race-lite 969 & 969 Stays Butted

Fork: Formula Race-lite 1.3/7/1.3 Butted

Headset: Dia-compe Aheadset 1"
Stem: SR Sakae Sammy II 130mm
Handlebar: Concept Alloy
Grips: Tange Supple Grip
Barends: None

Brakes: STX Canti's
Brake Pads: Dia-Compe
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano Acera

Shifters: DX Thumbies
Front Derailleur: STX
Rear Derailleur: M737 XT w/ Red Pulley
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: STX 11-28T
Chain: KMC X8
Cranks: DX 46/36/24
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG Alloy
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN
Pedals: Wellgo WR-1 CNC

Hub Skewers: Salsa Flip Off Ti
Rims: Richey rock 440
Hubs: STX Parralax
Nipples: ??
Spokes: Stainless DB
Tyres: Michelin Wildgripper Sprint
Tubes: Bontrager

Saddle: Richey Vector wing
Seatpost: Concept Alloy
Seatpost Binder: Concept

Weight: 23.1 lbs

How did that end up with an older 3x6 gear setup? Apart from the very low-end stuff Shimano went all 21 speed in 1990.

Your thumbshifters are actually "MT60 Deore" circa 1988. If you putting a 7 speed rear wheel on the shifters will need to be swapped for later "MT62 Deore" (often called DX) or "M730 XT" thumbshifters or later RapidFire style shifters.

If you want to know the factory spec it's here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... cQuq9jDkg4

lrh":1gx5qz3z said:
How did that end up with an older 3x6 gear setup? Apart from the very low-end stuff Shimano went all 21 speed in 1990.

Your thumbshifters are actually "MT60 Deore" circa 1988. If you putting a 7 speed rear wheel on the shifters will need to be swapped for later "MT62 Deore" (often called DX) or "M730 XT" thumbshifters or later RapidFire style shifters.

If you want to know the factory spec it's here: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... cQuq9jDkg4

Its an MT62...right now its a 21 speed 3x7....not sure where you are getting 3x6. My thumbies are indeed DX...I am going to be putting on the Rolf wheelset soon with XT cassette making it 3x8 because as you would probably know the DX indexes 8 times even though it was specced as a 7 speed. I just checked the FD shifter and it is a MT60, but the RD shifter is indeed a MT62. Good eye...I bought the thumbies off Ebay. Im basically slowly upgrading this bike to all DX/XT. Although the STX bits do work well.

andyfloyd82":3npyh2ud said:
Its an MT62...right now its a 21 speed 3x7....not sure where you are getting 3x6. My thumbies are indeed DX..
I've done a full rebuild guide to MT62's (see my sig) so you can say I know them inside and out! ;) I thought I could only see 6 speeds on the cassette as well but now I see all 7.

Strictly speaking "DX thumbies" are "MT62 Deore II", they just kept offering them as a part of rebranded M650 DX group when they switched to RapidFires in 1990.

1988Shimano4.jpg

89Deore3.jpg

lrh":17bk1kg0 said:
andyfloyd82":17bk1kg0 said:
Its an MT62...right now its a 21 speed 3x7....not sure where you are getting 3x6. My thumbies are indeed DX..
I've done a full rebuild guide to MT62's (see my sig) so you can say I know them inside and out! ;) I thought I could only see 6 speeds on the cassette as well but now I see all 7.

Strictly speaking "DX thumbies" are "MT62 Deore II", they just kept offering them as a part of rebranded M650 DX group when they switched to RapidFires in 1990.

Good deal, I might read your rebuild guide. I just LOVE how the thumb shifters work. I plan to put them on my Specialized FSR Sport from 1994 very soon. I like how the DX thumbies can work for both 7 and 8 speed what a nice little feature. These shifts take a premium price on ebay too.

I think I'm the Chris something you are referring too :LOL:

I agree entirely with your opinions on the way these bikes ride and mine is also around the 23lb mark.

Great to see another one in the same colour scheme :)

Back