1994 16" GT Zaskar - Hans Rey Special

Antfox

Retro Guru
Many moons ago I used to ride nothing other than GT bikes, then I started seeing pictures of Hans Rey in MBUK and though I want to do that. To my parents dispare I converted my race bike to a trials bike, from there on the love of trials started. I started collecting Hans Rey items from when I met him at Bicycle Expo in 1992. I have various videos with Hans on them including Malverns 1993,and the 1993 GT No Way which also features the release of the RTS and how it works. I am looking to have these converted to DVD when I can so i'll list some for sale for anyone who was especially at the Malverns in 1993.

Now I have a little more money and time ( well a little bit due to just having a new addition to the family only 2 weeks ago ) I decided to build another GT bike so the search started, it had to be a Zaskar and trying to find a purple 16" version was a no go.

This is the bike I am using for reference.

December 2012 a nice looking polished version came up so i placed some cheeky bids and finally won it, on arrival the frame was ok a little dull but the components were all looking a little tired. Now it's June and the build is finally finished after many months or searching for the parts I wanted as it needed to be a close as possible to the original bike but with a groupset that would be easier to get spares for as this will be ridden over Cannock Chase as much as possible. I have had to have the stickers in the correct places like the Shimano and the True Temper ones as for me it makes a difference, even the wheelsmith ones on the rims as Hans always had this.

Specs:

Frame: 1994 GT Zaskar Polished
Seat Clamp : Cheap Ebay black clamp and QR lever
Fork: Rock Shox Quadra 21 ( NOS stickers fitted )
Stem: Control Tech ahead 1/1/8
Head Set: Onza mongo 3
Bars: Answer downhill ( mega thick )
Grips: NOS Onza porcipaw
Brake levers: Shimano M737 SLR XT Cantilever
Shifters: Shimano M760 9 speed
Cables: Grey XTR style outer cable
Brakes: NOS Shimano M739 Cantilevers Front and Rear
Front Wheel: Mavic D521 - Black - Ringle suppa hubba
Rear Wheel: Mavic D521 - Black - Shimano M737 - Shimano 9 Speed cassette
Quick Release: Purple Ebay alloy for the wheels
Tyres: NOS Onza Porcupine re-issue Kevlar tyres
Chain: KMC 9 speed
Rear Mech: Shimano XT M739
Front Mech: Shimano XT M737 - Bottoom Pull
Chainset: Shimano M460 - Polished
Bashring: Ebay alloy purchase - black
Pedals: 1993 GT alloy pedals ( with the pins that rip your shins to bits )
Seatpost : 27.0 Kore alloy post
Seat: NOS Avocet Air o2 ( with the red O )
Extra Bits: NOS Shimano XT sharkfin

I've just also been sent a very rare Hans Rey sticker from the GT Bicycles Fan Club on Facebook.

Awesome :D !
Great build & a nice Hans collection
Amazing when you think of what & how Hans rode on a bike like this when compared to modern trials bikes.

That's a great tribute to one of the iconic bikes and riders of all time. Nice work.
I still fancy a Zaskar and yours makes me want one even more.

Yo buddy, i was there at the malverns in 93 and still have my pass and stickers to boot. Remember seeing all those cool dudes showing off for the crowd, ah good memories. Stopped in the chippy in malvern link one year and Rob Warner was next to me in the quew.

A few of us went including ST , at one point Hans left me with his blue mod bike while he went and did something :)

The video is good I don't have a video player to watch these on so a DVD will have to be done !

Thanks for all the great comments :)

Back