A little bit of help!

JakC7

Retro Newbie
Hey guys,

Hope you're all well, this is my first post! For the past 4 months I've really got into into cycling, currently riding 3/4 times a week and I've gone to just over 70miles. I've recently taken up a project, my uncle found an Peugeot racer, it was pretty battered, I've spent about 20 hours getting it too this condition, I've still got lots of work (new wheels, saddle, crankset, brakes, etc) so far everything is from the existing bike, but, the big question is do I turn it into a fixie? I hear they're fun, just wondering what they're like over long rides? Any advice is really appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 383
I used to allot of training for road and time trial events on a fixed during the winter. A great way for help fitness, but they can be tedious on a very long ride. A nice novety tough and cheaper than running gears. Perhaps a singlespeed freewheel would be a good compromise?

I can't see from your picture, but if you've got slot type dropouts on the frame, you can try out single speed very cheaply.

dropslz0.jpg

Leave off the derailleur, select a front chain ring, and a rear sprocket, shorten the chain so that it fits and adjust the tension by moving the rear wheel back of forth in the dropout. Ride it around and see how you like it. :D

I rode around on a fixed 25 odd years ago, but was in pretty good shape at the time, recently reassembled the bits on a replacement frame but had forgotten the hard work particularly around braking and I have gone to a single speed rather than fixed until legs are better adjusted. Also rather depends on terrain, where I was it was very flat.

I've done 35 miles or so on my single speed (1980s 'sport tourer' I'm using as a cyclocross bike) no issues, but I do have to walk up the odd hill, and going down again isn't as fun as it would be on a geared bike, but I guess more fun than a fixie as I can coast!

If you know how to dish wheels, stick a cheap freewheel on there, straighten things up, and have a go.

Joe of Loath":2leyyart said:
............and going down again isn't as fun as it would be on a geared bike, but I guess more fun than a fixie as I can coast!

the thing on a fixie is your cadence has to match the speed of the bike, and so speed is "limited" but gravity might have other ideas going downhill. Can be managed using front brake but can get through blocks / rims quickly, some people still use a rear brake while riding fixed but that's not ideal.

Back in the day the gearing was about 70", I rode 40x15, cadence of 120rpm is about 25mph I seem to recall so long steep hills to be avoided.

Back