Aluminium O - New Photos Added

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Finally got round to throwing some bits on the Al O frame I got from John 12 or so months ago. The plan is to build it up as a single speed and its now at least ridable as one.

Its not real pretty and things like the wheels, post, saddle, bars and pedals all need changing as they are just test bits, but the general concept is getting there. :D

Update: Changed a few things around and got it working nicely. Photos at the bottom of this page..

img_4102.jpg

Attachments

• Orange_Al_O_2.jpg
    Orange_Al_O_2.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 2,320
  • Orange_Al_O_1.jpg
    Orange_Al_O_1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 2,320
Think your being a bit harsh on yerself there, maybe the saddle but I think you've got it on the money. :cool: Looks clean and functional and the fluro maguras give a good contrast. Me likey.

I agree, i'd be happy with that (except for it being too big for me :) ), i actually like the saddle :shock: , what is it, an SLR ?

Once my Clockwork is fully done i was thinking of getting an early Zaskar but the more i look at Aluminium O's the more i want one :D

:D Nice one... good to see another built up "O". All the others I've seen on the forum have been just the frame!!
Like the Maguras... remenber them being an upgrade back in the day. Shame they didn't do anything to alter the cable routing for the hose on the frame.... cable ties aren't the easiest thing to diguise! :D That saddle looks a bit 'minimal' too :shock: ....I was using a toupe on the scale for a while....'til it 'failed' 4 miles from the end of a lap in last years dusk 'til dawn!....too much flapjack!
:shock:
Choice ride though andy! :D ....enjoy :D

Agree with the saddle,bit too modern for the build but apart from that i like it,looks clean and a good bike to hammer around the trails,good build chap :cool: ;)

The saddle is just a cheap SLR copy which need recovering, but it actually very comfy and light with Ti rails. Seated climbs are a rare thing on single speeds around here so the comfort isn't really a factor anyway. I may use it for a while.

As for some of the other bits...

The post is a road job at the maximum line and the saddle is about 30-35mm too low. A 410mm Thomson will be in place soon.

The wheels are cheap jobs and I have another lighter set to go on.

The bar is only 21" (maybe 22" max) and doesn't give enough leverage out of the saddle, so something a lot wider will be going on.

The DX pedals weigh a tonne and are badly in need of a rebuild, apart from testing builds I never use flat pedals, so a new set of SPDs will be put on.

I have some line guides to replace the cable ties for the rear brake hose so that will look better too.

I may also change the stem for a shorter one as 150mm seems a little on the long side, but more testing will be required to decide that.

Anyway, its all coming together, and should be complete in a week or two. :D

OrangeRetro":30u1wx5i said:
I can't believe how chunky the stays are on the 'O'! :shock:

Well they aren't designed with ride comfort in mind....

The welds look a little agricultural too...

Back