92/93 clockwork proj

raymondluxuryyacht

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, thought I'd start a build thread for this now the frame is painted. This is hopefully going to be a bike for my wife. The p7 I built was too big and has become my winter bike, so in come this 17" clockwork.
Frame was a bit scratched and had some rust patches. I cleaned it up and treated the rust then sent off to Bob Jackson. Here it was in its previous guise (obtained from P.Eggleton).

Attachments

• P1000068.JPG
    P1000068.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 644
I acquired a later 1" f7 fork for this, as I wasn't planning on making this absolutely retro perefect. Here's the frame and fork newly painted and with aheadset and stem fitted.

Attachments

• P1000257.JPG
    P1000257.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 642
You might not like the part that is about to go on this......but I said it wasn't going to be retro perfect.

I would have preferred a 5-bolt crank, but this build is going to be a bit of a mix of bits really. Its going to be like a 92/93 bike that has been kept running by upgrading bits over time ;-)

Attachments

• P1000259.JPG
    P1000259.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 642
Here's the crank being installed and you also see I've tried out some coloured bottle cage bolts on to see if they look ok.

Attachments

• P1000262.JPG
    P1000262.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 642
Fitting the cassette, and adding the back wheel. The wheel is a modern bargainous one from merlin with Deore hub and mavic rim. The rim actually matches the front reasonably well in appearance (and the front is an older item with stx rc hub and mavic 237 rim).

Attachments

• P1000263.JPG
    P1000263.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 642
  • P1000264.JPG
    P1000264.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 642
Front wheel installed with help from my assistant. The face he is pulling is his "shop smile" :)

Tyres are modern conti vapor pro (folding).

Attachments

• P1000266.JPG
    P1000266.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 639
Looking good :D actually loving the mix of old and new, I do hope you will continue to use Canti's?

Thanks. Yes it will have cantis. I went with vees on my p7 partly for convenience and because later p7s would have had vees anyway. This frame pre dates vees by several years and although the build is not retro perfect it would be a step too far not to try cantis out on it.

So build parts attached so far:
Rear wheel - deore hub, mavic x317 rim, hg50 cassette
Front wheel - stx rc hub, mavic 237 rim
Tyres - conti vapor
Chainset & bb - deore hollowtech 1
Stem - tioga 90mm with shim for 1" steerer and blingy bolts
Headset - cane creek 1" ahead, with brand x carbon spacers on top
Bars - Easton carbon ct2

Parts attached yesterday and this eve:
Seatpost, cantis, levers, cables, bottle cage, pedals. Pics to come soon-ish.

I forgot to say decals are from Gil M. Lovely job he did too. They are period correct style but with the letter colour toned down a bit to show off the paint work.

Back