Peugeot Grisley

spatuluk

Saracen Fan
Feedback
View
Hi!

Some may have noticed a post in the ebay watch thread about a Peugeot Grisley going cheep: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=259393. I hadn't heard of these bikes before, and a bit of research indicated that they were quite good..

I think the full title of the bike is Peugeot TeamLine T1000L 'Grisley'. The design is similar, if not identical, to the Grisley Glacier or the Reflex ALX bikes that were sold in the US. Presumably Peugeot bought the rights to manufacture and sell them in Europe using their own name. The tubing is 6061 Easton E9 aluminium, bonded to aluminium lugs. Components are supposed to be a mixture of Ritchey and Shimano Deore XT. I'm not sure what year the frame is from.. the Grisley/Reflex frames seem to be from 89/90, but the Peugeot catalogue scans I saw were from 1993. hmmm...

As Macclesfield isn't far from me, and I'd already been pondering getting a Raleigh M-Trax/Dynatech due to the lugs, I decided to bid. I won it for £42.77, which doesn't seem to bad to me!

I collected it last night, not really knowing what to expect. There'd only been one photo, apparently taken from a low-rez mobile phone camera. Was that a scratch or a reflection on the top tube? Are a lot of the decals really missing, or are they just too dark to be picked up in the photo? How many parts will be original?

Well, it was more of a ding, actually, and it was on both sides of the tube, as it had been caused by the bar ends whacking the top tube at full lock. The top and down tube decals were indeed missing, but judging from the head badge, the decals were nowhere near as sweet as the ones from the Dutch version of the bike. I suspect it would've looked like the bike here: http://amiral44vtt.free.fr/grisley-peugeot.php, which has the same head badge, and quite lame decals.

I didn't spot the internal cable routing on any of the photos. That'll be fun to maintain!

The components fitted to the bike are these:
Kalloy Uno handlebar
Mavic M231 rims
Nokia tyres. Can't remember the model/measurements.
Ritchey Force quill stem
Ritchey Logic cantilever brakes
X-Lite brake levers
Shimano Deore shifters
Shimano Deore chainset
Shimano Deore rear mech
Shimano Deore XT front mech
Shimano Deore XT headset
Shimano Deore LX hubs
Specialized summat saddle
No visible brand on the seat post

I'm not sure if the fork is original or not. If it was sold in the UK, it may have had lesser specs than the European mainland model. It appears to be steel, but I haven't attacked it with a magnet to be sure. The Reflex ALX 99 frame had cromoly forks, so maybe it is original: http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/Reflex.html

The bear medallions are a bit tacky.

Overall, the bike looks like it should scrub up quite well! My plan now is to take everything off, measure it all, and give it a good clean. After that, I'll ponder replacement parts. I think the fork, seat, and brake levers definitely need to be replaced with nicer things, and those bar ends just need to go. oh, and the pedals - they're just cruddy plastic things. Not sure about the rest.

Here's a flickr set of the photos that I took last night, just before the light ran out: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjFW3ao2

I haven't had time to do anything to the bike yet, but I did get a chance to measure the frame size. The seller wasn't sure what it was, so I risked buying it without knowing. I figured I could probably just sell it again if I made a terrible mistake.

I'm 5'11", with a pretty average build, which usually means I need a frame somewhere in the region of 19"...

The bike is 21". aargh!

I can stand over it, with about an inch to spare and my legs dead straight. With the seat adjusted for my leg, it's sits about an inch above the seat clamp. Doing the seat to stem test, I can touch the edge of the stem, but not the bolt.

It's an improvement on my old bike; a 17.5" 2004 Specialized Hardrock. On that, the saddle is raised so high that I can't reach the stem at all when doing the test! :p

I tried cycling it around the block (very carefully) a few times, and it does feel less stretched than my current bike, but it's not ideal, and the standover height worries me. One false move, and I'll be a disappointment to the wife!

I think my project is now just going to be cleaning it up for resale. :(

Nice! I had one of these from '94 to '97 (when the drive side chainstay snapped at the BB end...on my 18th birthday!).

I bought it off Julian Gould, of Ace Racing Team. It'd been his race bike for the '94 season. It was built up with Shimano XT, USE seatpin, and Pace RC-35 forks. I wouldn't mind getting another one someday...

Summer '96: -

11017_10152582310600422_812349841_n.jpg

I have one of these.Had it for nearly 18 years and not really used it that much as I love road biking.The bike was stored for about 8 years as I recovered from a back injury.It gas full XT,Ritchey and Rockshox Mag21 forks.The rear tyre is the original but the sidewall is now giving out.Its just had a service and had a new chain,cassette gear cables and new rapid fire gear levers also new clarks grips.I changed the original XT thumb shifters for convenience only and still have the originals.What else...everything else is original and the bike is awsome to ride but too good to risk coming off it.Id rather come off a new bike.I love this bike and am only thinking of selling it to fund the purchase of another mtb.There are obviously marks,scratches etc but it really hasnt been used.I did use it for a cylocross race this year but decided not to use it again as it is an old man allbeit a very capable old man.So there she is maybe up for sale.Size is 15" from the centre of bottom bracket to centre of top tube and 16" to the top of the seat tube.Cheers

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,082
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 2,079
  • bike 3.jpg
    bike 3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,078
  • bike 4.jpg
    bike 4.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,077
  • bike 5.jpg
    bike 5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,076
  • bile 6.jpg
    bile 6.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,074
  • bike 7.jpg
    bike 7.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,076
  • bike 8.jpg
    bike 8.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 2,081
I had one of those but sold it quite a few years ago. I bought it used in 1993 or 1994. It had XT/Ritchey Logic components and Mag21 fork. Of all the bikes that I have owned and sold, that one is the only one I really regret selling.

Re:

Thanks for your comments.I'd probably regret selling it at some point too.It is a lovely bike and I only ever use it to ride up the local canal,and that's not very often.Mine seems to be identical to the one you had.

This is my. It is not the top of the range Team Line 1000 but it is the 800 in his original condition and near new :D

Back