1982 Ritchey Mountain Bikes # 2P8

stanlee

BoTM Winner
I purchased this bike many years ago from the original owner off of Craigslist. Here is the info I received;

Mark,
The down tube measures 22". The frame geometry is triangular (very close to 22X22X22). In the pictures I’ve attached I tried to show the quality of the hand brazing. I rode the bike for years but never abused it. I did purchase it as a frameset. That's all he had to offer. Keep in mind at the time I had no idea who this guy was, but Gary Fisher told me they could assemble a complete bike for me but I could do it myself and get a better deal. I don't think I have any pictures but I literally walked out of that little shop with a frame, fork set and a set of those classic Ritchey bars. For what it's worth, Gary told me this was the last hand-brazed fork he had from their shop. They were already having frames and fork sets built to their specs in Japan (I think he said Japan, probably too early for China to be involved). He had one more frame in this size left. Because they were to wide for riding thru the woods I did shorten the bars a couple inches but they are the original set on the bike. Back in Denver I built the bike from there. The front wheel is the same one I put on back in '82 right down to the Cooks Brother hubs. I had a sealed bottom bracket pressed in and it is still there. I have never had a problem with it. I have Sun Tour components on it now; I cannot remember what I put on it first. Except for the used Campy rear derailleur I found for it. It was a steel ax and the only thing I could find at the time that would travel my cluster efficiently. It is long gone by now. Hope this Info is interesting and helpful.

Some of the parts I've changed to try and build it period correct but I'm sure it still needs some adjustment. Here are some photos I've collected over the years.

First photo I received

Current state

Back