Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:10 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

I've been trying to evolve the perfect (for me) transport bike for general duties. So far I've used 700c tourers, but I wanted something that I could use for off road wild camping.

I'd seen a few MBKs and pretty much dismissed them as euro factory fare. However, like many mainstream producers, they put together some quality stuff too. This one is made from inexternally brazed triple butted Columbus Nivacrom.

I usually veer towards brazed frames in either lugged or fillet, but have never had an inexternally built one. It leaves a very neat tube join, and is supposed to be strong. Smashing. Some nice touches with carry strap braze-ons and lovely seatstay bridge. Forks are quite sweet: "cold drawn" and sub 900g.

So far I'm v impressed: super smooth ride and no hint of wobble even with a full load of shopping & front basket.

Vive la difference.

mbk 005 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 006 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 008 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 010 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 011 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 012 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 013 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

mbk 015 by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

Last edited by doctor-bond on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:45 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

A mate of mine had one of these back in 1989, don't think it had the yellow forks though (I'm sure they were also metallic grey), but had a full Deore2 group and some indestructible Hutchinson Tyres, It was nice and extremely well built if a little heavy (tyres probably had a lot to do with it) and I reckon he regrets trading it now for a Dawes/Kirk thing.

Carl.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:03 am 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

This came specced with full M730 XT and a set of Michelin amberwalls each of which was close on a kilo. I put it on a bit of a diet before clobbering it up with practical parts. Haven't had the heart to weigh it, as is, but the frame was a bit over 5lb if I recall correctly.

For the record, here's a pic of the inexternal brazing profile. From what I've gleaned, this can be either a fast pass hit or miss process using a factory jig and lots of heat, or a damn-tricky-done-by-hand-with-lots-of-skill-process.

Headtube gussets were fitted to some of the lower end factory bikes to mitigate inexpert inexternal joint failure. Given the cut-lugged seatsaty bridge, I'm hoping mine was constructed in the tradition of the sweet Motebecane builders of yesteryear.

(pic from Ian Raleigh's excellent La Redoute road bike) :
Here

Here's a pic of a Tracker with cool paint. I think this is a bit earlier (1988?) with a horizontal tt, but some of the French guys might be able to say for sure.

. by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:57 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

i used to sell these in my shop back in the day. The grey one posed is earlier than 89 i think i may be a 87. 88 was fluro with u-brake i think 89 was two tone grey, silver with cantis and deore spec and they kept the fluro model with exage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:27 am 

biglev wrote:
i used to sell these in my shop back in the day. The grey one posed is earlier than 89 i think i may be a 87. 88 was fluro with u-brake i think 89 was two tone grey, silver with cantis and deore spec and they kept the fluro model with exage.

This was what I remember the Grey/Silver model, with the Ranger Hi-tech with Mountain LX (and stupid narrow bars) being the Fluro. I think the '89 might have been Cromor-Or rather than the Nivacrom tubing too, as I seem to remember the Columbus sticker being silver and not gold. Weren't they built in the same factory as the Peugeots but the Peugeots used Reynolds Tubing instead of Columbus?

Carl.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:20 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Looks like Lev might be on the money with 1987: here's a coupla pics from 1987 adverts: pinched from the Toton Velo site.

Last edited by doctor-bond on Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm kinda guilty of forgetting that MBK existed but i do remember seeing a few of these advertised in MBUK in 1989 ,
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3670/8942 ... 3436_b.jpg

And if i have to admit it i still like the colour scheme 8) ..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:11 am 
Retro Guru

doctor-bond wrote:
. by Petrelbooks, on Flickr

This is my bike :lol: specially built for the 25th anniversary of 1st MTB World Championsphip in France.
The frame is built with a Colombus offroad double butted tube set with inexternal welding.
Is from 1988.

Your's is beautiful !!