The Lava Dome That Thinks Its A BMX

PurpleFrog

Kona Fan
Ironically, I bought this bike to turn into a drop bar 26er. But I never got round to it and loved how it handled as a flat bar (with a ghetto single speed conversion.) Then I lucked into an almost new cross bike at next to nothing and couldn't store both bikes. At the same time my best friend, who has a hand problem, was terrifying me by riding a Bicycle Shaped Object in Manchester traffic. So Ms Lava Dome was reconfigured to give him a upright riding position with no weight on his hands. Which is about the weirdest thing possible for a Lava Dome, but turned out to work very well - the big bars make this bike crazy fun to ride. (The black tape is on the frame for no particular reason.)

CIMG0380.JPG

side%2520ahead.JPG

CIMG0383.JPG

Ms Lava Dome now has 3x8 speed gears, and went through a phase of wearing Big Apples, which really must have been something to see. Now she's in trail tyres, I believe. Oh - and the cantis have been replaced with v-brakes, which makes me feel sort of ill...

I had to modify my bro's bike because he has problems with his back but wanted to carry on cycling to work...

...I did a very similar thing with a BMX stem and bar but he refused to ride it because he said it 'looked like he'd just nicked it off a kid in the park!'

Had to go with a North Road bar on a riser stem in the end; would have been easier to buy him a 'Shopper!' :roll:

Back