Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:50 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:40 am 
Retro Guru

Ironically, I bought this bike to turn into a drop bar 26er. But I never got round to it and loved how it handled as a flat bar (with a ghetto single speed conversion.) Then I lucked into an almost new cross bike at next to nothing and couldn't store both bikes. At the same time my best friend, who has a hand problem, was terrifying me by riding a Bicycle Shaped Object in Manchester traffic. So Ms Lava Dome was reconfigured to give him a upright riding position with no weight on his hands. Which is about the weirdest thing possible for a Lava Dome, but turned out to work very well - the big bars make this bike crazy fun to ride. (The black tape is on the frame for no particular reason.)

Ms Lava Dome now has 3x8 speed gears, and went through a phase of wearing Big Apples, which really must have been something to see. Now she's in trail tyres, I believe. Oh - and the cantis have been replaced with v-brakes, which makes me feel sort of ill...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:02 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I had to modify my bro's bike because he has problems with his back but wanted to carry on cycling to work...

...I did a very similar thing with a BMX stem and bar but he refused to ride it because he said it 'looked like he'd just nicked it off a kid in the park!'

Had to go with a North Road bar on a riser stem in the end; would have been easier to buy him a 'Shopper!' :roll: