British steel ,Lee Cooper content!

mtbdave

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys some of you may remember 2 Lee cooper mtb frames up for sale on ebay recently,well this is one of them.
Be fore i go any further i would like to thank Sinnerman (Carl) for helping me out to obtain this frame by bidding on my behalf and then speaking to the seller and convincing him to post it out (the listing was pick up only)
So a big thank you from me to Carl for going out of his way for me.

some photos of the frame;

In the last photo theres a small attachment on the tube any ideas what that is or what its for?

For hooking the chain onto :D

Should be a good basis for a cracking bike. What's your build plans?

As far as the build will be, either a m730/5 xt build or full m900 xtr,a early black syncros bar, xt seatpost in black,flite or a turbo?
stem and fork i was going to get in touch with lee and see if he can make those or if not a salsa stem (with roller) and maybe pace rc35 forks.
the frame will need a full respray which is a shame as i love the colours right now and some Lee cooper decals from Lee.

Any thoughts are welcome as none of the above is 100% at this stage.

the serial no is LA9194

this was built when lee worked at LA cycles and they made the frame for websters cycles? the model was tarantula as you can see on the decals' its a columbus tubes frame cant remember which though,weight wise its surprisingly light imo!

That's great, were it mine I build it up with XT and then all the rest as listed.

I fancied the other frame, but really didn't want the drive to pick it up. However, it should by now be residing not too far from me ;)

Look forward to seeing this one progress and then hearing how it rides.

I fancied the other one! Lol
But Carl told me this maybe requiring less work in the long run.

I would like to spray it the colour it is now with a blue to white fade on the forks,blue top of crown to white to the axle.
But and ideas on colour combo's or just a single colour I would welcome suggestions!
Also the colour of the stem too.

The parts I have listed above I have already so no need to buy them,I mentioned the xtr group because I have a set of wheels build already,the xt kit I have doesn't have wheels built and the black hubs are pretty rare!

XTR wheels and XT mechs and cranks.... yup, that sounds just the job.

I would have thought it was pretty straightforward to find a paint shop that can reproduce the present colour scheme. As for forks; if you go rigid, then I think I would be inclined to use the colour scheme from the frame, possibly white to blue and even extend this to the stem. It might be worth talking to Lee about the whole job (that's what I would do).

As for the other frame; I do seem to be acquiring and restoring a few 'lame ducks', first my DB and now a CATSWISKAS, so one more would have just been par for the course. :roll:

Anyway, I think you've got a really nice project there, and certainly something unusual, if not unique.

Well now I have the photos on the computer I could email them to him and ask him for some ideas,prices and time scale and the possibility of him doing forks and a stem.
What would suit this then a straight bladed fork like a project 2/accutrax or something like a spinner type fork?

As this is a British built bike and there's no catalogue or other one on this site to get ideas from fellow retrobiker's I need your help!!!

I just looked up the eBay listing, it's a Columbus sl tubed frame and seller said it weighed in at 2.3kg what ever that is in lbs I don't know! :oops:

A 19" frame with a 1-1/8th head set required,head tube is 4 and half inches long

Is that a decent weight for a 19" frame set?

Back