Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

The frame is going to be repainted; would colour would you make the frame?
black (onyx) with black decals with white outline 29%  29%  [ 17 ]
Simple white with white decals with black outline 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
The original paintjob; purpe metallic with fluor yellow decals 17%  17%  [ 10 ]
Slate (that is the grey one) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Pink with blue decals 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Green with yellow decals 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Platinum with white decals 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:37 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Bummer indeed. Good luck with the warranty, & don't let the dealer get away with it, I hate it when they do this.

HAZ= Heat Affected Zone for those who were wondering.

If I look at all the pictures the crack does extend beyond the HAZ on the non drive "left" side. My guess is it started from an initiation point in the seatpost relief, followed the HAZ boundary line of least resistance and was/is still growing away from the relief cut to the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:33 pm 
Retro Guru

Any good frame builder in your area can fix this for not to much money. Also you could have them switch it to a seat post clamp to help w/ this issue in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:49 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Basically you can’t believe what people tell you because they’re all hoping you’ll give up and not realise what your rights are. Your claim is against the person who sold it to you. Obviously he would like to palm it off onto the importer, but now can’t. But even if the importer was still in business, it wouldn’t be him who was going to fund a new frame anyway – you have a claim against the dealer, the dealer has a claim against the importer and the importer had a claim against Serotta. With the importer gone, the dealer should claim from Serotta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:52 pm 
B.o.T.Y. Winner / Gold Trader

Anthony wrote:
Basically you can’t believe what people tell you because they’re all hoping you’ll give up and not realise what your rights are. Your claim is against the person who sold it to you. Obviously he would like to palm it off onto the importer, but now can’t. But even if the importer was still in business, it wouldn’t be him who was going to fund a new frame anyway – you have a claim against the dealer, the dealer has a claim against the importer and the importer had a claim against Serotta. With the importer gone, the dealer should claim from Serotta.

That's what i thought exactly,..thanks for confirming my thoughts,...
I will wait for the reply from Serotta, if they want that the dealer still a part of the issue or i can handle it directly,.
If not i will go back to the dealer and confront him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:42 am 
Old School Grand Master

The dealer's liability is under the Sale of Goods Act - that goods are of a merchantable quality. As the bike is several years old, I think that proves it is - had it failed like this after 3 months then it definitely would be the dealer's problem.

The lifetime warranty is offered by Serrotta - and it's then an interesting debate as to whether the wording was the Importer or Serrotta themselves. As they are not in the UK it's not enforceable under UK law.

So that's back to begging...and a nice local framebuilder. FWIW any stress raiser from a shim would be at the shim edge, so 80mm or so below the top of the seat tube.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:47 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I can't see that the shim issue should be a problem unless Serotta specifically warns you not to use one. Obviously an 8cm shim can set up a stress point where it ends, but if this was a serious issue (a) why did firms like Orange fit seatpost shims as standard, and (b) wouldn't the same stress point apply even with no shim if you fitted the seatpost at its minimum insertion, which is generally either 8 or 10cm? I don't see the difference between an 8cm shim and a post inserted 8cm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:50 am 
Retro Guru

Could be the shim just plain wore out, allowing overclamping, then repeated flexing on pedal stroke. SNAP!

Same thing happens with carbon posts on alum frames(mine). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:53 pm 

Still no reply although they will reply me within 2 days or sooner (according to the site),....
Forwarded the email again and give them a call on Tuesday if i do not hear anything from them in the mean time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:35 am 
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain
Anglian AEC / Prison Ship Captain

how high did you have to drop the cow from to get it to splat like that as im thinking a cow splat rug would look so cool in my bedroom 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:46 am 

cannondale king wrote:
how high did you have to drop the cow from to get it to splat like that as im thinking a cow splat rug would look so cool in my bedroom 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i life in an old warehouse on the top 4th floor,...that was high enough to do the trick
The biggest challenge was getting the cow in the elevator the 1st time ! :lol: :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next