Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Orange Clockwork ideas
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:50 am 
Old School Hero

Hi all ,after finishing my 91 Prestige,I told the wife not to worry as thats it and Im happy with it so no more bikes.Then Racin Snake stuck a 90 Clockwork up for sale,so I snapped it up at great personal risk to my own life.
Just wanted a bit of advice as to whether to try and do a resto build in orange and white fade or not.Does anyone know what other colours these came in originally? I think there was a satin black but thats out as thats the colour of the Prestige.Was considering white but not too sure.Any ideas/inspiration greatly appreciated,thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:35 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I think the yellow/white fade looks fantastic, would be very different as there's only a couple on here if that.

1990- orange/white, yellow/white, orange, satin black iirc..

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:38 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=207928

Agreed on the Orange white fade, I wanted to go stealthy and as it was Satin black anyway I kept the resto true to its roots :) have a look at the build thread :)

Jussa :D

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:06 am 
Old School Hero

I will be painting it myself so might have to prctice getting the fade right on a different frame first.
Hmm .... yellow and white,never seen one of those

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:39 pm 
Old School Grand Master

One of the nicest colour schemes was one called Coffee Creme, never seen one in this for years, but basically it was like a caramel colour with darker faded coffee colour at the headtube, dropouts, BB and seat tube cluster.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 12:50 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
My early Clockwork was almost black with an earthy forest green cast to it and a bright teal speckle in it.
Recently had it stripped and powder coated in a custom colour "silver sparkle/chameleon green". It generally looks a metallic mid green with bronze/copper speckles in it. On a bright sunny day, the silver sparkle comes alive and zings. Probably not one for the purists, as they say.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:52 am 
Old School Hero

Bet it looks good though

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 pm 
Old School Hero

If I choose the orange/white,does anyone know if the orange is fluorescent/neon or just normal orange gloss finish?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
OrangeJase wrote:
Bet it looks good though

I think it does, but then I'm kind of attached to it after 23 years. I spent months trying decide the colour scheme – a nightmare!

I spent a lot of time researching on Retrobike and the web – there were so many great examples to see and be inspired by:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;t=33003

In the end, at the powder coaters, I was swayed by the colour samples I could see when I got there. I've not posted any before/after pics of the resto yet.

I think the iconic bright orange and white fade is a real classic. There have been a few variations on the shade of orange used, from a citrus orange through to one with more red and more neon. I think with some, a pearlescent white was used too. I think a hot zingy orange is great, may be...

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm 
Old School Hero

There does seem to be a varied range of the shade of orange