94 GT Zaskar LE rebuild

uncle zaskar

Dirt Disciple
Just finished rebuild on my 95 zaskar LE. I have owned from new (bought as frameset) and this is the second time she has had a freshen up.

I know the purists will not like the modern chainset, but I was struggling to find a decent retro set art a sensible price - the original LX chainset that I had used since new needs new rings and a major refinish, so cheaper option was to find something that suited the bike.

rebuilt the vector II's with the girvin ODS shock getting an oil change and service. just need to source some decals to finish.

It rides just like it did when first put together all those years ago..... :D , all ready for another season of trail bashing and maybe 'Beastway'

hope you like. U z

Wow your GT is looking really sweet for a revamp and i don't think the more modern chainset makes that much difference to originality tbh ..

cheers for the comments - been a long 4 weeks of rebuilding in the garage for many evenings, so glad you like it. :D

still think longer term I will try and find a more 'period' chainset, but got to say the newer unit with external
bearings was very simple to fit and looks quite good - only time will tell if it's as durable as a good old square taper
unit.

Regards - U.z.

I like it ! Love the forks makes it look very industrial .

I am too running a newer chainset on mine as the xt one I want go for silly money which I refuse to pay :(

Are the decals new ?

Well the newer external bearing chainsets are suppose to be more robust but i'll have to wait and see what reviews i can find on them and the period chainsets do tend to go for silly money these days but that's down to them being more desirable at the minute ..

I went for modern chainset and BB on mine. Quite happy with it, maninly as I didnt want hassle of trying to find replacment rings for a vintage XTR for example. At least new sets there are loads on the market to choose from.

tonedeaf101":35h18pr7 said:
I went for modern chainset and BB on mine. Quite happy with it, maninly as I didnt want hassle of trying to find replacment rings for a vintage XTR for example. At least new sets there are loads on the market to choose from.

I know this is an old thread now and although this is a valid point it's not in keeping with the main theme of being Retro even though i do fully understand where your coming from ..

I'm not as much of a purist as some here, so I'm not too worried about the modern chainset on a retro frame with retro fork, mechs, brakes, etc. Lots of guys here love the old frames and reinvent them with modern parts or adjust the geometry for old backs with shorter / higher rise stems and I'm cool with that. The bike in question is for riding which in my mind makes the substitution ok. Being a cheap skate I'm also mindful of the cost of replacing rings on old chainsets. Its ridiculous when a modern crank and bb costs less than a new big ring.

Yes mate i understand what your saying and i agree costs are an issue when it come's down to replacing retro parts with NOS so if it's possible to get parts at reasonable price then i agree it would be a viable option to get NOS other wise like you say it's a lot cheaper to buy modern parts and it's just a pity that we can't find new chain rings to fit Retro cranks unless any one is fortunate to own the right tools out there to produce these item
as the call for these parts the demand would be huge i imagine ;) ..

Re:

Love the look of the Zaskar , i have a Zaskar with a set of AMP F3 forks on it and a Proflex with Girvins on it , may be a bit of a swap around ? :shock: ps both run hollow tec II ;)

Back