Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:19 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 am 
Retro Guru

well i was sat thinking last night that i had just thrown £25 in the bin or i had a mission on my hands to get the seat post out, ( caustic soda sounds good ) but then i realised alls not lost, plan B is now to strip some of the low end parts off the bike and use them as a temperary solution to build my technium and get that finished and useable and as time goes on i can replace the parts as and when with the xt parts i had in mind for the build, and source another hack frame for a build using the carrera parts once the technium is finished :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm 
Old School Grand Master

even if you do transplant, surely worth try to get the post out

why not try cutting it with a hacksaw blade from the inside of the seat tube, so long as you go steady you shouldn't damage the frame

once you have a strip out your on the way

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:40 pm 
Retro Guru

xxnick1975 wrote:
even if you do transplant, surely worth try to get the post out

why not try cutting it with a hacksaw blade from the inside of the seat tube, so long as you go steady you shouldn't damage the frame

once you have a strip out your on the way
your thinking the same way i am :wink: im not going to just bin it and find another frame i will give it a couple of days work on trying to get the post out before i give up on the bike, carrera or not its still worth some time and effort

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

there will be loads of advice on this on the internet but this is a useful starting point

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:39 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Jump straight to the inevitable caustic soda - quick, easy fun ... what's not to like?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

kingoffootball wrote:
Jump straight to the inevitable caustic soda - quick, easy fun ... what's not to like?

is it easy?

looks like the solution spits everywhere.

how messy is it?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:52 pm 
Retro Guru

caustic soda ive used in the past for cleaning ovens so know it works well as a cleaner but never tried it on alloy but willing to give it a go if all else fails, im going with the hack saw bit first and some well aimed drilling down the side of the post, anythings worth a try to save the frame from the scrap heap.
had a look at the link nick cheers for that :D

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:11 pm 
Old School Hero

It's got crackle drip paint you gotta save it, you don't seem many of those late 80's early 90's jobs around now...I've used the hacksaw method before and its fairly easy just slowly slowly catch a monkey, will caustic damage the paint?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:11 pm 

It doesn't have to be messy - when I did it, I was having the frame repainted, so didn't bother about it going on the frame, but it would have been easy to be careful enough.

Only problem is if you do it on your patio the part you spill it on gets really clean and you then have to clean to rest (with more caustic soda and a pressure washer)!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:55 am 

I had this very model. Fell in love with it at the halfords in Rochdale. Dad bought me an 18" with 300lx groupo. I was 13 at the time. It weighed a ton (actually 2). Took it to our usual biking quarry and snapped the frame clean in two. Top tube if I remember correctly. Halfords offered me a cash replacement so I upgraded to a Dawes Rocky Trail with Exage trail group. They only had one in a 21" frame which didn't bother me at the time.... (face palm). But that's another story. If your bought this for fitness you chose the right model. That is if you can get it going!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next