Proflex 856 Mayhem build

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well finally picked up a project for Solo Mountain Mayhem 2013

Use to have a Proflex BITD so kinda fitted the bill for a ride been as I know longer have a mountain bike in the garage :shock:

So in my normal style of gun-ho I hasty purchased this project , Not quite as good as I was hoping once home but will make it more personal once built.

So this evening had a quick once over removed the oversized stem/bars (pretty naff) and noticed the bent xt brake lever (how did I not notice that!?) replaced with Salsa stem and flat bar to try out :roll: checked for size and even though a large frame size felt pretty good (saddle in correct position for me in photo).

The frame and shocks all feel good which I guess is the main thing so the rebuild begins :D

Did notice a shim had been put in and needed a mallet to remove the stem off shim , Funny how the aheadset is 1/18th and the steerer is 1" ? why did they do that?

Want to keep a traditional build but think I might keep with the V brakes

Looks great Dave, little on the large side for you though? Maybe get some of these:

;)

Attachments

• images-5.jpeg
    images-5.jpeg
    3.7 KB · Views: 1,773
Hi....I'm building a 856 at the moment..looking good !
Should be back on the road by the weekend.
If you stay with V brakes would you consider selling the rear canti brake hanger that bolts onto the alloy swing arm ?
Looking for one at the moment, be great if you didn't need it...
Cheers - Justin

Hello Justin,

Going to keep for now but will keep you in mind if I decide I dont need it

Cheers

daj

The strip down is complete with no nasties found waiting for a headset then start putting back together

Decided on

-Ditching the gripshift

Still undecided on

-Cantis or V brakes
-traditional flat bars/bar ends or wavy bars

Thinking Cantis and traditional will be ideal for Mayhem

Attachments

• photo (94).JPG
    photo (94).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,608
  • photo (95).JPG
    photo (95).JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,608
A nice build.

Can I ask what the solution or spec is for the headset/fork variance in sizes? A friend has one of these due back from the coaters & its the next obstacle naturally.

minor_LEGEND":1qheqe7e said:
A nice build.

Can I ask what the solution or spec is for the headset/fork variance in sizes? A friend has one of these due back from the coaters & its the next obstacle naturally.

I am fortunate to have the shim so will be 1 1/8th headset straight through with shim

theredchili":3zinwtv3 said:
Cantis for style, V's for stopping (ish) looks a beast, how heavy is it ?

Thats the crossroads I am at James , Thinking retro style cantis , straight bar and bar ends

or

Will be sitting on a bike for a long period in 24 hours on a course that will be better suited to having breaks and wavey bars?

need to make me mind up soon :shock:

Weight wise it did feel pretty light when first arrived , they are meant to weigh in around 24lb prob be more like 28lb? will put a number on it once finished :cool:

Back