Thread resurrection time....
We had a great summer. We rode two or three times a week, I mostly used the Foes, we really clicked. On the rare occasion that I didn't want to take the ride quite so seriously tho I took the Tazmon. The bike works really well, the only holdback is the lack of braking power, as we all got used to the instant and constant power of disc brakes, the vee brakes seem awful.
Good memories. Still, considering the bike is more than fifteen years old, the performance is admirable.
The bike was stripped down a few weeks ago, no dramas there. I decided that I would clean and service a few parts each week, this way it wouldn't take up any time, and it has been quite enjoyable. I am determined not to replace anything i don't have to, trying to keep her as original as possible. Obviously consumables like cables will be replaced...
The frame was the first part to see some attention. I dont want to lose the bikes identity, so the paint stays, I have simply cleaned and polished the frame, the bearings were replaced along with any rusty bolts.
This weekend I serviced the forks, again no real problems. The stanchions are a little rusty underneath the frame bumpers, but this really doesn't matter. The elastomer springs are all present and correct, and the damping pistons both work perfectly, so simply a case of cleaning, greasing and reassembling. The headset crown race is a little pitted, but I don't think it warrants replacing.
Next up is cleaning the wheels, then I can reassemble into a rolling chassis, much easier to store the bike this way.