Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 am 

Hi All,

just picked this bike 2 month ago from my parents' house.

It's a 5 speed Raleigh Maverick, produced in November 1985 (according to the first 3 digit in the serial number: NP 5.....)

I remember my Dad bought this bike in 1987 or 1988.
Back then, we used to ride together in weekend, my Dad with the Raleigh and me with my mini-cycle.

Did some cleaning up with help from my wife & my little daughter, and took it to a bikeshop to have all the jammed parts serviced.

And after replacing the busted original tires with the new ones, the bike is ready for action again.

Hard to believe that after more than 20 years "burried" in my parent's attic, all the original parts still working well.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Anybody here knows what is actually Raleigh ATT 23 ? Is it a steel or chromolly ?

Thanks.

Attachments:
File comment: bell
Image006.jpg
Image006.jpg [ 45.94 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: sugino no.3 crank, sachs-huret eco-s rear derailleur
crank-rd.jpg
crank-rd.jpg [ 126.82 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: toptube-downtube
Image013.jpg
Image013.jpg [ 48.17 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: lee chi brake lever
Image010.jpg
Image010.jpg [ 45.72 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: fullbike
fullbike.jpg
fullbike.jpg [ 139.89 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: sachs huret friction shifter
Image009.jpg
Image009.jpg [ 45.32 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: build with raleigh att 23
Image015.jpg
Image015.jpg [ 25.64 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]
File comment: nottingham origin
Image003.jpg
Image003.jpg [ 30.11 KiB | Viewed 1848 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:29 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

According to my old cycling books, 'AT-23' is plain gauge high tensile steel often also seen written as 'hi-ten'. Raleigh were late onto the MTB scene, infamously dismissing it as a fad so their bikes looked outdated fairly quickly as the scene moved on. What was then outdated is now rather cool but the simple u-brakes let it down.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:59 am 

Thanks for the information :D

Do you have the original catalog scan and specs for this Maverick 5 ?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:55 am 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

no catalog I'm afraid but found this for a bit of fun:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:33 am 
Dirt Disciple

most of the maverick was carried straight over from the special edition 5 speed raleigh bomber. seat and post, crank, chain rings and bottom bracket, chrome rims, rear cassette, dérailleur, chain guard, U brakes, frame construction, head set, grips and end caps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

darrenh wrote:
most of the maverick was carried straight over from the special edition 5 speed raleigh bomber. seat and post, crank, chain rings and bottom bracket, chrome rims, rear cassette, dérailleur, chain guard, U brakes, frame construction, head set, grips and end caps.

The Bomber was based on a Nigerian sold Roadster - there is a letter from the Raleigh Marketing lot stating this back in the dim and distant.

legrandefromage wrote:
the internet wrote:
''...Yvonne Rix became product manager. Following her appointment, she noticed older teenagers in England riding conventional cycles fitted with dirt track racing handlebars and sorbo protective padding. This observation led her to instigate the Bomber. To get the desired image and line while minimising the need for retooling, the front end came from a bicycle already in the range, a Nigerian roadster providing the sloping cantilevered back end. Equipped with chunky tyres and specially-made handlebars, the Bomber somewhat resembled an early mountain bike but was well ahead of the MTB craze and was developed independently of it. Launched in 1981, it was promoted in an advertising campaign featuring pop star Toyah Wilcox..''.

And interestingly:

the internet wrote:
When Yvonne Rix visited the USA and the Far East in 1981, she formed the view that mountain bikes would eventually come down from the hills and onto the streets. The reaction from the Raleigh board was, who needs mountain bikes in England where there are few mountains? Yvonne Rix’s response was that neither do you need a 4x4 to drive in London, but you see plenty of Range Rovers in Chelsea. Not a woman to be easily dissuaded, she kept up the pressure for several years. Yet there was still very little interest in mountain biking in the UK: a review of the UK cycling scene in the International Cycling Guide 1983 made no mention of it.

Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

cool info, thanks mr fromage :D

heres the 5 speed bomber (the saddle isnt original though) you can see the maverick elements

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:26 am 

legrandefromage wrote:
darrenh wrote:

The Bomber was based on a Nigerian sold Roadster - there is a letter from the Raleigh Marketing lot stating this back in the dim and distant.

legrandefromage wrote:
the internet wrote:
''...Yvonne Rix became product manager. Following her appointment, she noticed older teenagers in England riding conventional cycles fitted with dirt track racing handlebars and sorbo protective padding. This observation led her to instigate the Bomber. To get the desired image and line while minimising the need for retooling, the front end came from a bicycle already in the range, a Nigerian roadster providing the sloping cantilevered back end. Equipped with chunky tyres and specially-made handlebars, the Bomber somewhat resembled an early mountain bike but was well ahead of the MTB craze and was developed independently of it. Launched in 1981, it was promoted in an advertising campaign featuring pop star Toyah Wilcox..''.

And interestingly:

the internet wrote:
When Yvonne Rix visited the USA and the Far East in 1981, she formed the view that mountain bikes would eventually come down from the hills and onto the streets. The reaction from the Raleigh board was, who needs mountain bikes in England where there are few mountains? Yvonne Rix’s response was that neither do you need a 4x4 to drive in London, but you see plenty of Range Rovers in Chelsea. Not a woman to be easily dissuaded, she kept up the pressure for several years. Yet there was still very little interest in mountain biking in the UK: a review of the UK cycling scene in the International Cycling Guide 1983 made no mention of it.

Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies.

interesting info you have there mr.fromage.
it's always cool to know the history of the bike you're riding :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:32 am 

darrenh wrote:
cool info, thanks mr fromage :D

heres the 5 speed bomber (the saddle isnt original though) you can see the maverick elements

cool bike...

is it yours darrenh ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple

no not mine, i have an older 3 speed bomber :)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=257484