91' Specialized RockHopper Comp

jpicard616

Old School Hero
This gray beauty has been my off-road touring bike for several years now, and has served it's purpose quite admirably. It was purchased new by a friend of mine in early 92' and he didn't end up riding it too much because of a knee injury. It came with a full Deore LX group, and several years later he upgraded some of the parts to the modern LX set up of the time (95-96ish I think). I took the front rack off for the photos, but normally it has a a full matching set of black Cannondale panniers that hold enough gear for me to be comfortably out on the trails for a week or two at a time.

I really love riding this bike, and I think that old RockHoppers are unfairly overshadowed by the StumpJumper, which in that time, wasn't that much better/different of a frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3993.jpg
    IMG_3993.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • IMG_3992.jpg
    IMG_3992.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 1,054
  • IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 1,055
  • IMG_3990.jpg
    IMG_3990.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 1,054
are you sure that's a 91? i bought my first real mountain bike, which was i believe that exact Rockhopper Comp with the same colour first year in U. that was late summer/early fall of 1990. got stolen and replaced by a Rocky Mountain Experience in 91. :(

brings back memories…

That looks nice, a real "workhorse" mtb.
I'm guessing it's been repainted fairly recently? And it does look like a large frame going by the headtube length :shock:

The seat tube measures 20.5in c to c, so yeah, it's pretty large. The paint is all original. It even has the "Taiwan" sticker under the Tange tubing decal on the seat tube.

I'm pretty sure it's a 91' but I could have the years mixed up. Or maybe they offered this color frame for more than one year...?

Latest posts

Back