1990 explosif project will start soon :) Finished!!

Spanky22b

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Out of the blue i received a message asking if I'd be interested in buying a Kona frame. Intrigued i said yes and this was one of the pictures i received :) Of course i couldn't refuse so my explosif pro was quickly sold to a member on here (cheers taffy) and now i'm just waiting for it to be delevired. I've a feeling this might get expensive so my 1991 Explosif has been pencilled in to be sold off to fund it. I've got most of the period parts to go on,the main parts i need is some 1" steerer P2's in black or some Track Twos and an original velocity stem. I'll put more pictures up when it's delivered and if anyone can help with the forks or stem that'd be appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,357
Re: My new explosif project will start soon :)

Quick update. The frame turned up today,(cheers Raiden73) i'm over the moon with it. It'll need some touching up but i'm not going to go stupid just a general wash and polish and a bit of black paint that'll do for me. I've sourced some project twos aswell (cheers oldfat Ti for that ) they'll have to be sprayed black and splatted because they've been sanded down to the metal for a respray. The next hard parts to find will be the original velocity stem with the internal cable routing and a 1" XT headset. Let the build begin :)

Here's a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 3,246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 3,246

Thought i'd throw some parts at it to get some ideas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 3,233
Re: My new explosif project will start soon :) now begun!!!

The P2's are on there way so once i've got them they can be sprayed,splatted and ready to go on. And i've been having a think and i've decided that i'm going down the Deore XT route for components mainly because i'm a die hard shimano fan :) I've had most of it stored away for this project anyways just need 2 fingered levers,top mount shifters and 1" headset and that'll be those covered just not sure whether to use silver XT canti's or black ones. Seatpost will be syncros,i've got a Avocet racing 1 saddle the bars will be tange prestige and the stem will be one of these (pic below) if i can find one. As for the rims i'm swaying towards silver and if i can find some the original ukai um20 rims. Also i'll be needing a tange prestige concept sticker as a nice finishing touch for the frame (pic below) Any help from fellow retro bikers will be appreciated,cheers for looking.

Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3,162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3,162

Looking great!

These older Konas never seem to pop up around my corner of the world.

I wonder if the UK was the primary market for the pre-90's Kona's?

Mr.Toad":2m1eadq4 said:
Looking great!

These older Konas never seem to pop up around my corner of the world.

I wonder if the UK was the primary market for the pre-90's Kona's?

Cheers Mr Toad :)

I think quite a lot places in the uk stocked konas back then,my local bike shop was one,that's how i got into them. Out of the splatter paint ones probably the Cindercone is most likely to come up for sale the most but it's taken me years to find the Explosifs. Best thing i've done was join Retrobike that's how i found mine :)

Looking good, I'll keep an eye on this thread. Can't beat a splatter Kona.
Just completed my 92 Explosif today. Debating whether to do a thread for it.

Kona lover":1wolylx0 said:
Looking good, I'll keep an eye on this thread. Can't beat a splatter Kona.
Just completed my 92 Explosif today. Debating whether to do a thread for it.

Cheers Kona lover,the two explosifs were my dream bikes back then,after this ones done i'll be on very long quest for a 1992 Hei Hei with all the Kona titanium parts and full xtr,then that'll be my dream bike garage sorted.

Get your Explosif up it'll be good to have a look.
I've nearly finished my 91 Explosif,full DX groupset just needs cables and chain and its sorted,shame i'm selling it though to fund this project :( pic below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 3,143

Thought i'd see if the crank arms would clean up,to see if there worth keeping. Think i'm going to swap those biopace rings for some black 1990 SG rings aswell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 3,097
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 3,097
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 3,037
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg