Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm
Posts: 4336
Plus one wrote:
Run for your lives...... It's the forum police !!!!!!!!!!!! ^ :lol:


The original post was like a wet dream for me :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:31 pm
Posts: 2366
Location: The Cave of Shame
Loving this. Just stumbled across it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:56 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:39 pm
Posts: 1455
carbon, expensive? time to get the drill out!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:11 pm 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
Ha! I signed up just to post this comment... This is pretty cool. Not for me, but pretty damned cool nonetheless. Hats off to you, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I have an 18" Kona Hahanna 1998 sitting out the garden, under some tarpaulin, waiting for some love! I don't know much about mountain bike componentry, but I'd love to do the bike up for some decent action. Which suspension fork size and stem would I need for this model?

Is it 1 1/8"? Are there any modern forks available? The RST's that came with it are about 80mm and probably gone by now!

Would appreciate the help and guidance, especially from the OP if you're willing...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:18 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 8679
Location: Sunny Cornwall
Welcome Rich :D

Your best bet is to post your questions in the Retro MTB Chat section or if you're here for the long haul then get some photo's and start your own build thread. Here's the link to the 98 Hahanna in the archives http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.jpg.html
Your forks/stem will be 1 1/8".

RichCollinsUK wrote:
Ha! I signed up just to post this comment... This is pretty cool. Not for me, but pretty damned cool nonetheless. Hats off to you, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I have an 18" Kona Hahanna 1998 sitting out the garden, under some tarpaulin, waiting for some love! I don't know much about mountain bike componentry, but I'd love to do the bike up for some decent action. Which suspension fork size and stem would I need for this model?

Is it 1 1/8"? Are there any modern forks available? The RST's that came with it are about 80mm and probably gone by now!

Would appreciate the help and guidance, especially from the OP if you're willing...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:06 am 
Devout Dirtbag
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm
Posts: 109
Location: Swansea, Wales
raidan73 wrote:
Welcome Rich :D

Your best bet is to post your questions in the Retro MTB Chat section or if you're here for the long haul then get some photo's and start your own build thread. Here's the link to the 98 Hahanna in the archives http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.jpg.html
Your forks/stem will be 1 1/8".

RichCollinsUK wrote:
Ha! I signed up just to post this comment... This is pretty cool. Not for me, but pretty damned cool nonetheless. Hats off to you, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I have an 18" Kona Hahanna 1998 sitting out the garden, under some tarpaulin, waiting for some love! I don't know much about mountain bike componentry, but I'd love to do the bike up for some decent action. Which suspension fork size and stem would I need for this model?

Is it 1 1/8"? Are there any modern forks available? The RST's that came with it are about 80mm and probably gone by now!

Would appreciate the help and guidance, especially from the OP if you're willing...


Thanks for the welcome! I love this forum already!

I'll take your advice, I'll get some pictures of it today.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:35 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:46 pm
Posts: 95
Location: UK
Just picked up on latest replies, it doesn't prod me every time someone replies for some reason..

Yes as has already been said your forks will be 1 1/8; however the earlier frames are 1", for anyone else looking.

Just as a follow up, the bike is running beautifully; I'd ride it more if it wasn't that I was afraid of where/how I locked it up. My only criticism is that it has probably worked out heavier than my Joe Murray '93 in all its original MTB livery, but it's smooth, responsive, fast, and takes so little effort to tootle around on I'm more than happy (in fact ridiculously happy...dog-sticking-head-out-of-car-window-with-tongue-lolling-about happy). It does make the '93 feel slow, so I've done my job well...

Latest additions have been as superb Lionworks bell, can't recommend enough, from http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/ all brass and stainless steel and LOUD. I clamped it to the side of the frame, not the bars, its fits very well. A picture might happen at some point. Also have obtained some Crud Roadracer II mudguards, which of course will require some 'tweaking' to fit (good clearances, just my frame geometry an issue!), but I'm used to it..

The longer it sits next to me at my desk (it's practically an armrest) the more its going to get things added when I have pennies to spend on fleabay, ha.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:32 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 295
Location: USA
I clearly should have consulted you before attempting my build.

My frankenstein errand/beach bike....saved the from the parts bin abyss, the Hahanna lives on.

Highlights include:

Blow-torched seat tube
Single 48 tooth ring
non-operational chain-tensioning LX rear mech (manual adjustment)
super cush gel grandmother seat
kore super wide motocross bar
xt/lx wheelset mavic 217 rims
ritchy 1.0 tom slick tires

superlight and rides like the wind! my first skinny tire bike and I love it.

I am just looking for a titanium bolt kit or annodized pulley wheels to complete the build. :mrgreen:


Attachments:
P1050961.JPG
P1050961.JPG [ 108.45 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]
P1050962.JPG
P1050962.JPG [ 87.31 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]
P1050960.JPG
P1050960.JPG [ 129.57 KiB | Viewed 377 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:34 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 295
Location: USA
I shim the seat tube with duct tape because the seat post is too skinny. Works great.

I want a honker horn or bell for it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:00 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
spwal wrote:
I shim the seat tube with duct tape because the seat post is too skinny. Works great.


Seriously? :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blak_byke, CristiRD, Google [Bot], jimi911, raidan73, shinobi and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group