Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:56 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm 
Retro Guru

I would like to introduce my new project, it’s a 1996 Saracen Rufftrax – Karma from Logical – Thanks Buddy 8)

I have decided to call it 'Dreadnought' , as its chunky and grey coloured like a Battleship, although on closer inspection it appears to be green coloured :oops: :D

It looks in solid condition, a few battle scars which add to its character, the only areas that need to be sorted are the chain damage which will require some gentle filing to remove some sharp edges, and a few scrapes on the frame where rust has started to form, but nothing terminal.

My plans were inspired by 1997BlackC5's project which i think was almost spot on 8) , luckily i have some spare STX RC kit to fit , some ½ decent wheels and STX RC cantilevers to fit.

And just ride it and enjoy it, I have grown tired of spending all my time making 'pretty' bikes and forgetting what they are for, so intend to have this built in a couple of weeks ready for the summer :D

Well that’s all for now, the hard work begins.

If anyone has any memories of how these Rufftrax’s ride, it would be appreciated. I have never riden a Saracen :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Interesting. I'm in the middle of a 96 Rufftrax build myself at the mo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Chopper1192 wrote:
Interesting. I'm in the middle of a 96 Rufftrax build myself at the mo.

I am pretty sure you will be finished long before me :oops:

What are your plans :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Well advanced. Been repainted black with new decals. STX cantis as rear mech, XT front, avid levers, standard bars and stem , Deore chainset. Just need wheels, shifters chain and cables and its done. It's a surprisingly nice frame and I'm keen to make use of it so I mudguard it up, fit carriers front and rear and use it as a touring/trekking bike.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Chopper1192 wrote:
Well advanced. Been repainted black with new decals. STX cantis as rear mech, XT front, avid levers, standard bars and stem , Deore chainset. Just need wheels, shifters chain and cables and its done. It's a surprisingly nice frame and I'm keen to make use of it so I mudguard it up, fit carriers front and rear and use it as a touring/trekking bike.

Sounds like a decent build 8)

I liked the look of this frame, a decent entry level bike for me - an entry level rider :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 am 
Retro Guru

widowmaker wrote:
My plans were inspired by 1997BlackC5's project which i think was almost spot on

Only just seen this thread, thanks for the kind words, never in a million years did I ever think one of my builds would ever inspire a fellow Retrobiker! But, glad to be of assistance:-).

How is the bike coming along, would love to see some updated pics. I'm still riding & enjoying my Rufftrax, its one sweet little ride!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:47 pm 
Retro Guru

Must be catchiing ! I have just picked up a 92 Sahara elite in black , i only bought it for the shifters and levers but its just too nice not to build .
chair is pulled up :)

Cheers Paul