Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:18 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:00 am 
Retro Guru

wookiee wrote:
Think I am going to put the DX chainset, STI gear/brake levers and front mech from the Bear Valley on to the Eldridge. and I also have a HG70 cassette and M735 XT short cage rear mech that I think will add a bit of class to an already classy ride! So it looks like the remainder of the Bear Valley will have to be sold off as I can't justify having two bikes that are so similar :( That and I need to pay for the Eldridge as I'm moving house on Friday and there is money pouring out of my account at the mo! I will be keeping the semi slicks from the BV and maybe the saddle I don't know yet... once I have moved I'll have a better idea. I have an operation on my wrist on Tuesday next week that will put me out of the saddle for a month at least so it will give me a good chance to sort out what I want to keep and what can be passed on

Took the Eldridge out for a longer blast today and the dreaded creaks started in the BB so it looks like I will need to change that out...again I think I'll opt for a cartridge BB with the fit and forget mentality! I can't be doing with the maintenance required in the original one! :roll:

Anyone interested in anything from the Bear Valley (apart from the items I mentioned that I'll be keeping above) let me know before I put it out to the masses. It can be seen here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=249198&p=1868420#p1868420

"I'm Marin til I die, I'm Marin til I die, I'm M-A-R...and I and N, I'm Marin til I die!" :lol:

Doug

I might take the wheels from the BV if they are a reasonable price Doug... PM me when you have time bro :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:53 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Nice list of upgrades Doug.. very similar to the 'grades' I made and they'll definitely make it feel more special.. it'll also shave a few lbs off which is never a bad thing. Re the BB, does it not just need tightening up? Mind you for 15 quid a UN55 would save a lot messin' :wink:

Looking forward to seeing piccies of the final build 8)

Good luck with the op and the move big man........ just make sure you're set for Mayhem!

"I'm Marin til I die, I'm Marin til I die, I'm M-A-R...and I and N, I'm Marin til I die!" ... love it!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

good call on bottom bracket, the adjustable ones are ok if in top nick and, you have the tools.

Nice to read you have given the eldridge a run out.

"I'm Marin til I die, I'm Marin til I die, I'm M-A-R...and I and N, I'm Marin til I die!"

:) bloody right!!! i've wasted far too much time on DBR's, oranges, and even...bianchi (tell nobody) :wink:

The 1992 pailsades trail is next in the breach and it's gonna get a real beating. the 200gs cantis aren't too clever but everything else works fine.

I will keep looking for zolatone to stash behind the other 'potential rides'.

nice addition to the collection doug, nice pics :wink:

marc.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:41 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hi guys

Thanks for all the comments...moved house yesterday and am all in the new house! But no Internet till Friday! Doh! Think I will switch out the Bb for a un55 just because I'm a lazy bastard! Rich ill pm you about the wheels from the BV. I have my wrist op on tues so will be off my bikes for at least 2 weeks! :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Back online! Phew!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Very nice wookiee. Have you considered using thumb shifters? I've got them on both my Marin's and Klein.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:31 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

little markie wrote:
Very nice wookiee. Have you considered using thumb shifters? I've got them on both my Marin's and Klein.

To be honest I don't have much experience of thumbies...only ever had them on 1 bike (raleigh mustang and I think they were shimano tourney!)...I do like STI's but maybe thats just because its what I am used to...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Hello mr wookie, I have a present for you........

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:52 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Chute55uk wrote:
Hello mr wookie, I have a present for you........

You have my attention! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

well what i need is somewhere to post it to, dont worry im not a wierdo just looking for someone who would appreciate something and your the winner :), Im not saying what it is that would spoil the suprise. (its not a team titanium so dont get your hopes up)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next