Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm 
Old School Hero

ok, so I was not going to buy another bike, but browing through marktplaats again and saw something a bit retro. Just 50 euro in the end, and a couple of km down the road, so why not? Not sure much about the history of this one, but I really like the early 90s large diamater aluminium tubing (dare I say a bit like a klein??), and the paintwork.

Original bike had full XT, and a lot of it is still on the bike. Previous owner has had it since new and used to compete on it, so it's been well used and a few things have been changed. It's got a new rear mech which will be changed. Also running on some recent rims, but they are pretty good quality so may stay for a while. Not a big fan of the flex stem (both type and colour), so may do something different up front...

Now, what to do with it ... ?

For my last project I got a suggestion to turn it in to a drop bar. I had other plans for the Raleigh, but it did start me thinking about doing this for the next project. Maybe I will do it with this one ... thoughts?

cheers
John

Last edited by johnv on Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pinarello!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 pm 
Old School Hero

some photos ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:18 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Pinarello Rombo - very nice! I very well remember the review in FIETS magazine: Rombo vs Peugeot Teamline vs Dawes XTR. My 1st bike mag. Good memories.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:24 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

A nice retro find :)

Is it just me, or do those handlebars look very narrow? the brake levers almost touch each other :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:58 pm 
Old School Hero

Thanks gents

The handlebars are indeed quite narrow....

Not sure how the bike handles with them, but I do plan on some changes there.

Some drama with the front forks that I forgot to mention in the first post. Had some problems getting the skewer out. After some messing around it came out. With some clean up I was able to put a new one in, so the axle is not bent. Further inspection did reveal some deformation in the front dropouts. Hope its not too serious. Will post some pics later ...

Post subject: Re: Pinarello Rombo
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:14 pm 
Old School Hero

Think this one will be a slow burner, but I do intend to try and do a complete build thread. Hope it's interesting :-)

Thought I would have a go at tidying up the very nice rolls saddle tonight. Seems to be in pretty good condition, has a few minor scuffs, and is a bit faded. Never done this before, but a quick search revealed that using normal 'dubbin' is fine. Had some so gave it a try. Quite pleased ...

Before:

After:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:53 pm 
Old School Hero

Trying to get some time to make some progress. Bike is now stripped down. Will definitely need a new coat of paint. I'd love be able to reproduce the original paint ... Need to find someone who can do that.

First things first, need to sort out the forks. Left side dropout is bent out of shape. They are chromoly so hopefully can be easily (?) bent back. Looking for advice on what is possible.

Can anyone help? What's the best thing to do here?

Picture of the dropout ...