1991 Marin Bear Valley

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
BITD my wife had a 1991 Marin Bear Valley; she loved it, and rode hundreds if not thousands of miles on it, on the Brecon Beacons, the Mendips, The Quantocks, FoD long before the trails were all there.

Unfortunately, she was not too good at cleaning and maintaining, and even with my occasional intervention the poor thing finally got to the point where repair was going to cost more than a new bike and so I persuaded her to get rid of it and get something new. She had several new bikes, and hated every one of them, they were not her Bear Valley.

Last year, when I got back into cycling, the flame was rekindled and although she could not find a Bear Valley, she did find a Palisades Trail, which I dutifully rebuilt and which she has ridden from time to time, but you know how it is when your heart is set on something and the Palisades is not a Bear Valley.

Two weeks ago, she rather coyly asked if I ever went up to Reading on business, I said yes, could I get to Wokingham? Yes. " I've found a bike on preloved, can you pick it up?" Yes. And so yesterday I picked up a 1991 Marin Bear Valley that apart from some riser bars is absolutely bog rock standard and which, by the looks of it, has covered somewhere in the region of 40 to 60 miles, if that.

One new chain, a couple of gear cables, a quick fettle and a service and Hey Presto!

Wendy and her new bike.

Please take note of the Plus Four (work) trousers, the soft step cycling shoes (slippers) and the Big Hair Helmet :facepalm:

To say she is pleased is a complete understatement, and she will now be pestering the poor man who sold her the bike, until he locates the original handlebars, which he still has... 'somewhere'.

I'll post some more detailed pics once SHE has finished cleaning it up ;)

We should all help by digging out some original bars and passing them on via Karma :)

Well done that woman.

I managed to acquire a near perfect match to my first ever mountain bike, it's a great feeling when you finally re visit the original

See my signature for the Specialized Rockhopper (The Yellow One).

Smiles all round by the look of the pictures hehehehe

Nice find and nice story. Glad she has found a replacement. my sister had her 1990 Marin palisades stolen back in the early 90's and has gone on about how much she misses it since. I sourced her one last year and surprised her on Christmas day :)

The smile on her face says it all! Nice find...I have a couple of pairs of black straightish retro bars that would suit if your interested for the cost of postage? (god knows what that will cost however!)

Doug

Thanks for the offer Doug.

I have a pair of suitable bars, but she is hopeful of getting the originals.

I did say that I could fit some flat bars while I was servicing the bike, but she decided she wanted to try the 'granny risers'. After the quick jaunt round the block she asked to see what flat bars I have in stock.

We don't use the phrase 'told you so' around here; not unless you want short rations at tea time :shock:

It's a lovely sunny day here today and we will be off to the horses presently. I guarantee she'll be in to woods on the Bear Valley later though ;)

Ha ok fair enough...a beautiful morning here too and will be going out as soon as I have had my bacon butty and dug out my plus fours aswell! :LOL:

I love the Zolatone Marins (I have just bought another last night a 1990 Eldridge Grade!)

All the best

Doug

Good story :)

My first mountain bike was a '91 Bear Valley, which my brother in law still owns. Loved it :)

SPD slippers are the way forward!

Looks like Wendy's as good as you for finding gems Neil!
& boy does she ride a high position, how tall is she?

Back