95 GT Zaskar - Ink Blue - work bike build

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I just picked this up on the weekend for $35 at the local gear swap and cleaned off the fugly stickers and gave the frame a good wash down with soapy water and a bit of MEC parts cleaner for the greasy chain stay.

I really like the blue annodized finish - wish my edge road bike was annodized. The ball burnish finish is just too much - particularly with the retro silver components build I have on it. Now if I could put on a bunch of red or blue anno bits it might look cool.

Anyhow, I'm a bit worried its going to be a bit too small for me - got my fingers crossed.

Here are some photos of the frame:

Attachments

• zaskar1 small.jpg
    zaskar1 small.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,140
  • zaskar2 small.jpg
    zaskar2 small.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,140
  • zaskar3 small.jpg
    zaskar3 small.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,139
  • zaskar4 small.jpg
    zaskar4 small.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,139
Irvinizer":1obdwj7a said:
I'm curious!

Sorry, I was trying to upload pics that were too large. Sorry for the quality guys - cell phone shots with flash. Also sorry for the clutter in the background - I took them on the spur of the moment.

Houlio99":1ep2bh9c said:
Bargain! What are your plans for the build?

Thanks for asking. It isn't going to be anything fancy. I don't have the $ to do a nice retro build (which would probably be lost on this bike as a winter commuter) so I'm just using what I have in the parts bin.

Wheels: 26" Sun Rhynolites with Deore hubs
Shifters: Shimano Deore Rapid Fire
Mechs: Shimano Deore in black
Fork: Surly 1x1 cromo steel, black, suspension corrected to 80mm
Brakes: Magura HS22's (if I can get them bled properly) otherwise Avid Speed Dial three levers with Deore v-brakes.
Tires: Continental Contacts
Stem: Generic 25.4 x 100mm with 6degreee +/- (I will upgrade this to a black one over time to match the rest of the bits
Bar: Race Face Riser - 25.4
Seat Post: 27.0 Kallaloy Uno layback single bolt in black
Seat: Black OE SDG saddle I pulled off my wife's Kona Nunu - cheap but comfy.
Head Set: Threadless FSA DH Pig in black - I like big bearings and am not worried about the weight - wish you could still buy those nice Shimano XT headsets with 1/4 inch bearings.
Bar Cons: Generic Control Tech knockoffs.
Grips: ODI lock on in black

I'd really like to do a silver build on the bike, but pretty much everything I have is black and I don't have the budget to collect a whole new build kit. The Rhynolites are overkill - they were my first North Shore capable wheel and they have lasted a long time. This is the third bike I've had them on. They are getting close to requiring replacement and I'd like to get something a bit easier to spin (and get skinny tires on). Anyone have a recommendation for a set of good street style 26" wheels rim brake capable?

Got the headset mounted last night (and the fork is on, but not totally secure yet) and mounted the crank and bb. I'll try to get some shots tonight.

Argh! After all that mucking about the HS 22's don't seem to be compatible with the Rhynolight rims/wheels I have for this build. I'm seriously tempted to stick those suckers on ebay and get some vbrakes.

Back