Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 225
A pretty good condition Karakoram in tequila sunrise just appeared on eBay...18" ; ) not mine...and too small for me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:17 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: West Sussex
philth wrote:
A pretty good condition Karakoram in tequila sunrise just appeared on eBay...18" ; ) not mine...and too small for me


Bit pricy though, just picked up an Avalanche from the same year (better bike) for WAY less than that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:35 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Left Coast of Canada
Huh. I just looked at the dimensions on the frames and the difference in top tube length is only 5cm between the 18 and 19's. I'm pretty surprised about that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 2501
Location: West Sussex
dirttorpedo wrote:
Huh. I just looked at the dimensions on the frames and the difference in top tube length is only 5cm between the 18 and 19's. I'm pretty surprised about that.


I'm not, got several 20s and a couple of 18s top tube length is similar 20s just ride taller.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:51 pm
Posts: 2277
Location: Llantwit Major
I had a 20" Zaskar (still in my shed till Rojo wants it sending) but when I mocked it up it felt HUGE even compared to my 21" Scale and 21" 456.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Left Coast of Canada
MADJEZ wrote:
dirttorpedo wrote:
Huh. I just looked at the dimensions on the frames and the difference in top tube length is only 5cm between the 18 and 19's. I'm pretty surprised about that.


I'm not, got several 20s and a couple of 18s top tube length is similar 20s just ride taller.


They definitely used a different approach with their road bike sizing - my Edge is quite square.

I managed to install the headset crank and seatpost/seat last night. I stuck the wheels on and the bars with the spacers I had available from my Hillside and swung my leg over the bike. Felt surprisingly good. The old roadie rule of thumb about the bar covering the front hub certainly doesn't apply. Going to get some more spacers today so I can get the bars on securly. I'll experiment with handlebar height to determine if I'm going to cut the steerer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:54 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 225
Just in case some of you guys might have some...I am after a set of black GT forks for an 18" Karakoram frame. Ahead only.???


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:24 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Left Coast of Canada
mtbdave wrote:
philth wrote:
Great. I used to have a dark grey Avalanche Alu 20" from about the same era as your 94I remember it was the first year the RTS-1 was made (


rts was available as a frame set in 93, the serial on mine has a 92xxx in it.

oh am 6'0/6'1 and mine is a 18"


Hey, what length of stem and how much stack height or rise are you running on your 18 inch Zaskar?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:56 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:07 pm
Posts: 225
SO...I have been doing some homework. An 18" GT has a 575mm top tube and around a 500mm seat tube. That is almost spot on the same lengths as a pre 2000 20" Kona. I won an 18" 1994 Karakoram frame on ebay the other day so will be interesting to see how they measure up in the flesh. :)

...now...I just need some forks...wheels...groupset.... what have I done! :facepalm:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GT sizing...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 1043
Location: Left Coast of Canada
philth wrote:
SO...I have been doing some homework. An 18" GT has a 575mm top tube and around a 500mm seat tube. That is almost spot on the same lengths as a pre 2000 20" Kona. I won an 18" 1994 Karakoram frame on ebay the other day so will be interesting to see how they measure up in the flesh. :)

...now...I just need some forks...wheels...groupset.... what have I done! :facepalm:

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1988_Ben, MSNbot Media and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group