GT sizing...

philth

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
If I ride a 20" kona...what size GT frame would suit? I used to ride a 20" Avalanche but it was a beast....

I am 6ft3 with rather long legs and have 18 (good) and 19inch (perfect).

Many more 18inch available, though...

Where are you guys measuring from? I just bought a 20" mid 90's Zaskar (measured center of bb to top of seat tube) and I'm a short legged 6'1" er.

Exactly. GT sizes are measured centre BB to centre top tube. dirttorpedo very likely has a 18inch. My 19inch Psyclone is 48,1cm C-C (18,9inch) and 54,6cm C - End (21,5 inch).

That's what I thought which is why I was a bit surprised when the fellow at the gear swap measured it to the top of the seat tube. The whole virtual top tube thing messes me up. :? So if its an 18 inch I should be just about right size wise with my short legs. :cool:

I'll check the serial number when I get home and if I'm good I just need to give it a good cleaning before I build it up.

I'm 6ft (with semi short legs). Ride GTs in 18 & 20. A 20 with a long stem is a bit of handful I will admit but
should be ok. 18s are more easy to handle off road, 20s more comfy on road/trails.

Checked the drop-out. You guys were right on - 18 inches. If I'm interpreting the code right it was manufactured in the March of 1995. I'm building it as a commuter/street bike so I hope the 18 isn't too small. I have a 100 mm stem and a raceface riser bar I'm planning to put on it. I've also been bodging together a pair of Magura HS22's which I'm going to try on it - if I can figure out how to bleed them without the factory kit.

Are there any original GT steel forks kicking around? I've got a Surly 1x1 to mount on it, but it seems a shame not to put an original GT fork.

Latest posts

Back