My new Marin Muirwoods Project

imperial21

Old School Hero
I have has started this as a shoe string project !
I bought the Marin Muirwoods on ebay for £10 ! But its been outside in the garden unloved for a long time :(
Its a 1992 Muirwoods, It has the original 200GS groupset fitted still though the shifters are broken.
When i bought it the seat post was seized, Chain is rusted solid, Headset is very rough, Wheels have had better days they are not buckled and spin ok but the spokes are very rusty and i dont trust them

This project i am doing on the cheap and will try to reuse what i can or replace with used bits i have or can get cheeply.
I have started with working to unseize the seat post, This morning i had a go and put the post in my vice and that has it turning a bit, so i have sprayed with more oil and we keep going with, I removed the chain as thats for the bin.
wheels came off with a little fight the quick release s where security ones (allen keys locks) and rusted up.

I have a spare set of wheels (Karma from wookie) whick look period right though , I am considering removing spokes from some scrap wheels i have and fitting them one at a time to my old wheels, Could that work ?
Headset i wondered if i can just replace bearing ? i have found bearing races on ebay for 3 quid.
bottom bracket spins ok so i my leave for now.
I need some shifters, I have a set of xt thumbs i may put on the bike but then i need brake levers.
Anyone any suggestions that may work ?

Done a bit more, Seat post is getting looser but its still not out also i am stuck on handle bar stem is seized in the forks.

whayne":1j2bmjcb said:
Is this the one..???

looks like a palisades trail that one.

imperial21, keep up the good work. I would remove the chainset(if you havn't already) and spin the bottom bracket again. very rough, i expect. plenty of 122mm bb's around though.

chain reaction cycles are doing ritchey logic headsets for £11.99 posted, more or less original equipment for these. If you are cracking open the headset i would replace the lot. the bearing cups will be pitted like crazy.

cheers.

At the moment i am leaving the cranks on as they are seized on, the crank removal tool pulled out of the crank with the thread :oops: .
I will try again at removing the stem as thats seized to :cry: .

Back