Roberts Genesis

JonSattler

Retro Newbie
Hello. Didn't know this site existed until a few weeks ago.
Here is my Roberts Genesis which i bought new in september 1994. could do with a respray this year as it is looking a little rough close up.

Attachments

• DSCF2042.jpg
    DSCF2042.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 975
Welcome, and what a lovely bike.

If it were mine I would find some cantis and a period chainset and maybe some fat tyres.

But its a real beauty. Well worthy sending back to Roberts for a repaint.

edit: maybe not Roberts then!

Welcome to the site; the haven for lovers of fine old bikes.

As one who has had a frame recently resprayed via Roberts, I would politely advise that you don't go that route. I waited seven months for my DB to come back, and I only got it back that quickly because Brian kept his toe up the paint shops posterior. I know another forum member who has gone direct, and he has been waiting far longer than I did.

Argos in Bristol, Bob Jackson in Leeds (I think), Dave Yates in Lincolnshire and any number of other frame builders with in house spraying facilities (Roberts send their frames out), will be able to offer a high quality refinish.

Right, dire warning of impending doom over, please tell us more about the bike and post a lot more pictures... we luurve pictures ;)

I did originally think of sending it back to Roberts for a respray but gave up after not getting a reply to emails. Ralph Coleman cycles in Taunton recommended Argos so will have a look. Not sure on colour yet,might stick to the same, was thinking of a light grey. Hopefully parts won't be stuck in the tubes, i used to spray waxoyl inside the tubes when i got it. Want to change the wheels too as the rims are wearing down, they are old mavic 231. The tyres must be 15 years old too. Mostly Deore xt fitted, did have a middleburn chainset until one arm cracked.

You can't be too far from me if you've been into Ralph Colemans.

I have a frame with Argos at the moment, and there are several members here who regard Argos pretty highly.

I know the guys at Roberts read all the e-mails, but getting a reply is a pretty rare event; it's not that they are rude, just rubbish at e-mails :roll:

Just outside Wiveliscombe, west somerset. within reach of Quantocks & Exmoor but with three little children going out for rides is restricted to early mornings at the moment which suits me at the moment. hope to take the oldest one for his first ride on the quantocks soon.

I know the area well, we visit Brompton Ralph on a regular basis with our two horses; I was there Easter week.

I'm just up the Mway in Weston-s-Mare.

Getting the tiddlers out on bikes is cool. I did it with my two when they were small, and now they are both members on here. My son is currently on a weeks road riding holiday in Portugal, but at 130 to 170 km per day it does not sound much like a 'holiday' to me!

Looking forward to seeing the Genesis rebuild as it progresses, have a good look in the riders bikes and the British Steel threads for inspiration, there are some great British Steel bikes on the forum.

Hello. Been a long time but finally got round to doing something. Went down the powder coating route until i can afford a proper paint job but must say the finish is better than i thought. Hopefully a couple more weeks and i'll be riding again.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 703
Back