1992 Orange Aluminium O

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been looking for a project to use as an everyday rider for a while,as i don't want to use the Clockwork all the time. Before xmas,i bought an Alpinestars Almega frameset that i was hoping to use for this purpose.....but......as with other stars,it's turned out to be a dud :(
Since then i've been scanning the for sale section looking for something else to fill the gap,and this week,the perfect frameset was up for sale at a very good price :D

So...here's the new project:-

1992 Orange Aluminium O

Serial number:- A112****

The frame is in a sound state apart from the paintwork,which has flaked in many places...but not a problem. I'm split as to what to do with it at the mo...

Either:
Strip and polish
or
Powder coat

Either way,i'll be fitting the earlier 'O' decals

Build wise,it'll be nothing fancy:-
XT/DX 7speed
Flite

Needs a new headset 1 1/4 threaded-anyone know of one please pm me!

I must be the only one who prefers this style decals to the old ones.
I was thinking about getting this to replace my stolen one but still waiting for the money to come through.

A nice tidy up project and nice to see the Alu forks.
It's the last of the Alu-O's to be made.

I'll keep an eye on this build, I think the powdercoat option would be easiest, but a polished alloy frame would look the business :)

jimo746":3ll9klgf said:
I'll keep an eye on this build, I think the powdercoat option would be easiest, but a polished alloy frame would look the business :)
Cheers jim,oh and thanks for the frameset too ;)

i know polishing it would look good,but for an everyday bike thinking powder coat will be more durable-plus i can get it done for £0 :D

Liking the satin black,original orange decals look against the silver dx componants

sylus":susbiaja said:
This may sound silly

Do they do a clear powder coat?

I think you can get it, I know the sparkly white finish on my Stumpjumper was done by powdercoating the frame white and then applying a clear coat with the glittery bits in it (which I think was also powdercoat?).

May be worth asking around?

Started stripping the frame and the condition of the ally is quite badly corroded in places,so polishing would be a pig.....possible.....but ALOT of work and time needed.
I may try a section to see what it comes up like,but not promising it'll be any good

Frame and forks both now fully stripped and i think there's too many marks on it to go down the polish route......so.......it's definately going to be powdercoated now.

i've even managed to get a Nos 1 1/4" XT headset,which is now on it's way from Germany.

Still looking for a Quill stem with noodle for cable :roll:
Plus need to get hold of gil'm for the decals

Hopefully wont take long :D

another vote for black powder, orange decals and a polished up dx grouppo here stocko.......nice to see the original fork too, that will look the dogs danglies when finished!..... :D

Back