1991 Cannondale SM800.. finally complete, no more tinkerin'!

chiswickcollectables

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is it.. this is the bike I have been longing for for the past 20 years! Since mine was ruthlessly taken from me by a pair of drug-crazed thieves I have hankered after a mint 1991 Beast of the Beast :(

And now I finally have one thanks to a very nice man in the Netherlands. This frame came up for sale on here a couple of weeks ago and I pounced! I pounced I tell you like a lion on a wildebeest! It arrived on Friday and once I unleashed the Beast from the box I could instantly see that it was a minter! OK there are tell tale signs of light usage but it is clear that this Cannondale has been loved and cherished like a member of the family. I proceeded to give it a deep clean, T-Cut and Autoglym and it really has come up like new! Annoyingly the driveside Pepperoni sticker has taken a bit of a beating and there is some suck on the chainstay but these are minor defects. There were one or two tiny chips to the paintwork but these have been cunningly concealed with bright orange modelling paint (this is possibly the easiest paint job to touch up).. aluminum oxidization.. negligible :D

The more observant of you will notice that I have a link to the same model Cannondale in my sig.. this one I have retired. It will be looked after by a large busted nursie in a home on the seafront in Eastbourne.

So the story begins.. the story of my unicorn!

1991 Catalgue
SM800spec.jpg

My original 18" back in 1991 purchased from Evans in Croydon:

Just before its first outing for a ride over the Severn Bridge (nice jacket :mrgreen:)
DSCO_SN001.jpg

Somewhere on Dartmoor July 1991 (even summers back then were sometimes shite)
DartmoorCannondaleSM8001991_zps5373f57b.jpg

My 20" UnIcOrN:
DSCN3642_zps415fc92e.jpg

Apologies for the duff picture, I quickly took it this evening as I was keen to share my Beast with the world. So far I have build it to the stage where I can stand it up.. wheelset is a NOS M231/Ringle setup, post is a new Kalloy one, seat NOS Flite Ti, stem & bars NOS Tioga Tange Prestige, grips ODI Attack and shifters/levers NOS M092. Future plans are to fit an
XT BB, XT cranks that I want to polish to mirror shine, new HG90 chain, Tioga Surefoot 6 pedals, XT cables and Ritchey Logic brakes :cool:.

Unfortunately I have limited time on my hands to finish it off but please stay tuned for further updates.

Cheers,

Craig

Re: 1991 Cannondale SM800.. My Unicorn!

Lovely bike, but that GT Turbo also deserves a mention! Especially as it was a brand new model for the year, whose was it?

markwashington":3v9juxd6 said:
Lovely bike, but that GT Turbo also deserves a mention! Especially as it was a brand new model for the year, whose was it?

Cheers. That 5 belonged to my uncle and my pop had another which was H226 KOP.

not sure about the purple hubs? but the frame looks sweet. Not as lovely as the Klein

That's great - always fancied one of these back in the day. And I had an identical haircut to you in your second picture...

So back to the bikes... :oops: Was the decision to buy a bigger frame now than the one you originally had deliberate, or just because it came up for sale? I only ask because I've always favoured mountain bikes with low top tubes to avoid painful moments with the top tube. I might have always had smaller frames than I really need but it's always semed sensible and the reach tends to be less too.

So are you taking this off road or is it just for the collection? Or maybe you've grown a bit since '91...?

Ah yes.. the classic 90s mop! I thought I was Chesney Hawks! Well observed.. this frame is a size larger than my original which is handy because I've grown into a 6ft 4" lump! Current set up as pictured is perfect for me now. It wasn't really a decision to buy a bigger frame, that's just what came up but I'm glad as it will be a rider. I do have a smaller frame (same as my original) which is real beat up but unfortunately my long term plan to restore just hasn't materialised :(

tintin40":mnntg0lq said:
not sure about the purple hubs? but the frame looks sweet. Not as lovely as the Klein
I'm with you on the hubs mate.. purple bling is not really to my thing although they're definitely growing on me.. and IMO they go well with the rims and the black frame. I got them off the bay last year.. very badly listed. £43 delivered to my door by the seller and completely unused :shock:.. feck knows where he got them from?

Maybe its not as lovely as the Klein but the quality of the frame is outstanding nonetheless. These early 'Dales just don't get the love they deserve (in my opinion of course). Plus this particular model means as much if not more to me than the Attitood.

chiswickcollectables":24ytz1aq said:
I'm with you on the hubs mate.. purple bling is not really to my thing although they're definitely growing on me.. and IMO they go well with the rims and the black frame. .

But then we were crazy for purple BITD :oops:

90's build must have some purple :D

Back